News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SOVIET RAILWAYS

RichieC

• Replies 93
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hello Gerd,

the badge was established in 1934 for Shock Worker of Stalin Labor Campaign.

Yours seem to be made in 1936 in Leningrad mint. A very low serial number.

regards

Andreas

here is on without rivets

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Gerd! That is a really neat

screw disk! I've never seen one DATED before!

(Are we overly focussed, or what? :rolleyes::cheeky: )

Colonel of railway troops Vladimir Nikolaevich Podozerov in 1947 while at the Military Transport Academy:

Guest Rick Research

Director-Lieutenant Colonel of Railways Construction branch Nikolai Danilovich Yerokhin, taken in Kishinev 14.2.1948 as "Captain of Reserves" for the local Veterans Commissariat:

Of course, where there is a white TUNIC, there must be... white CAPS. And I wonder how many of these COULD be awarded to the same person:

And where's a nice scan of your ? Pilotka Railways cap star from last Sunday's show, Richie?

:Cat-Scratch: Gerd! That is a really neat

screw disk! I've never seen one DATED before!

(Are we overly focussed, or what? :rolleyes::cheeky: )

Yes, i only noticed it on the scan too :speechless: I am impressed of the quality and the multi-piece construction of this little badge. They are really nice!

Guest Rick Research

Nice fresh scans of my Honored Railwayman (serial number 66580) and two varieties of the Stalin-- smaller version with noticably blue lettering, and larger with much darker blue lettering:

and their screw disks:

Left: Honored Railwayman, still bearing the NKPS of the pre-1947 People Commissariat of Railways

Middle: the "small Stalin," marked to the Sh.M. Z-D, MPS-- the workshop of the Railways Ministry post-1946.

Right: made by Victory Factory, Moscow, and a perfect enough fit that I do not think this has been mismatched as so many are after 50+ years.

Guest Rick Research

And this is why I believe that all the "bronze" Honored Railwayman badges were originally completely nickled, but that their exposed surfaces have simply had the plating evaporate--as is common with many WW2 German badges--

it includes the little "hubcap" to snug down the screw disk, and underneath and where the layers blocked exposure to air... there is still nickled finish left:

This shows better in the seller's ancient little camera shot than I can get with my scanner due to the shadowing.

Guest Rick Research

Ticket, Comrade!

What's that, you say? :Cat-Scratch: Ricky's wandered off topic with Guard Unit MGB paperwork?

Guest Rick Research

Nuh uh! Noticed that little "Zh. D." appended to the written out unit line?

OK, so the stamp's rather sloppily blurry on this one

But what we have here is State Security for...

Lvov Province Railways. :catjava:

And THAT was probably the worst posting imaginable after the war, since active partisan operations continued against the Soviets well into the 1950s, with railway transportation being just as desirable targets as German rolling stock had been . :speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

And Comrade Lieutenant Colonel of State Security Pavel Kuz'mich Grinenko (who seems to have started his service in 1933 from the rest of his 30 years of paperwork and medals) was STILL there in 1958:

Guest Rick Research

It's tiny, but looooooong after those wretched Feldpost number stamps had come into almost universal usage, here-- 1958 !!!-- is State Security still spelling out and stamping an EXACT unit

KGB Command for Lvov Province R.R. !

Great stuff, Rick. There are obviously a lot of variations around of these badges.

My badge was also obviously silvered at some time, but it is gone, except on a few places on the train. The enamel is very dark, looks like black, but i assume, its also a very dark blue. Looks, like i was lucky to get such an early one :jumping:

• 9 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Two tunics I have are RR troop M43 interesting for the fact that the stars are embroidered and a general's (or whatever the administrative equivalent is) M43 with unique trainsignal device and very interesting fabric. I have pants to match but if any of you all have a hat to go with this tunic...let's talk.

Guest Rick Research

Ahhhhhh :love: YOU got that from Igor! I lusted after that for years, and just never had the right budget at the right time. :banger:

The rank is "General-Director for Tracks & Construction 2nd Rank." (General-Direktor Puti i Stroitel'stva II Ranga)

NO clue how many railways generals there wwere, but this is the ONLY tunic/trousers set I've ever seen.

You should get Vladimir Lapin's excellent 2003 "Nagradniye Znaki Zheleznodorozhnogo Transporta." Igor may still have some.