News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Let 'em All Come!"

Nice postcards! Here is my example, similar to Leigh's but made out to the Royal West Kents. Interestingly, it's postally used by a RWK man writing home who describes his unit being woken in the middle of the night to try and shoot down the perpetrators of the German air raid (planes) on Sittingbourne in Kent.

Gilbert

Nice postcards! Here is my example, similar to Leigh's but made out to the Royal West Kents. Interestingly, it's postally used by a RWK man writing home who describes his unit being woken in the middle of the night to try and shoot down the perpetrators of the German air raid (planes) on Sittingbourne in Kent.

Gilbert

Great - that's the sort of thing that makes these cards so much more ineteresting to me than pristine unposted ones.

I have a couple of postcards from the same series as the "Bravo! Territorials" one:

"England's Defenders" - just look at the "Bravo! Territorials" card above & you can see where the inspiration for the squaddie - in fact the whole card - in this one.

Unlike the "HB London" ones it has no embossing to the design & of course no real photograph applied to the centre.

"Made In England" & posted on 19th July 1916 to

"8505 Pte. R. W. Scott, 3rd Glos School of Signallers, Belvedere Camp, Strood, Kent", from his sister Mrs A Hathway.

She reports that "Bill is in the pink".

Glad you agree Leigh. A lot of the ones I have collected came from Ebay, and I always resist asking whether they have anything written on the back - that way I get a nice suprise if there is a historically significant message or something that ties it to one of the units I collect.

Of course, by doing this I also don't alert other RWK collectors lurking on the Bay, which would drive the price upwards! ;)

Gilbert

"Now Britain's tars have got a Chance...........With Russia, Belgium and France......."

In this portrayal Jack's British, not English, & the allies are getting a mention.

Presumably produced, like the other "United We Stand" type cards shown so far, prior to America's entry into the war as they don't get a mention

This isn't from a postcard, it's a type of certificate given to Florrie Smale on Empire Day in 1916, who:

has helped to send some comfort to the brave Sailors & Soldiers of the British Empire who are fighting to uphold Honour, Freedom and Justice

A little girl giving the boys in khaki and navy blue all the support she can.

• 2 years later...