News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post your (R) Reiterabzeichen and (R) Fahrerabzeichen

Hardy,

Yellow was the arm of service colour for German cavalry units for many years. For this reason, Panzer Regiment 24, formerly 1st Cavalry Regiment, wore yellow waffenfarbe on their uniforms throughout the war instead of the pink worn by other Panzer units.

For reference see German Army Uniforms and Insignia 1933-1945 pages 24 and 25 by Brian L. Davis

Regards,

Gordon

• Replies 164
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hardy,

Yellow was the arm of service colour for German cavalry units for many years. For this reason, Panzer Regiment 24, formerly 1st Cavalry Regiment, wore yellow waffenfarbe on their uniforms throughout the war instead of the pink worn by other Panzer units.

For reference see German Army Uniforms and Insignia 1933-1945 pages 24 and 25 by Brian L. Davis

Regards,

Gordon

Of course, yellow is the Waffenfarbe of the Kavallerie.

But not only elements of the 24th Panzer-Division wore the yellow Waffenfarbe (other than Kavallerie), also Aufklärungs-Abteilungen (Reece-units) and some Kradschützen-Btl. (motorcycle battalions), showing their cavalry tradition, wore yellow.

I'm saying that yellow Waffenfarbe and bronze Reiterabzeichen is possible since the wearer might not be from the cavalry and therefore had received his riding proficiency through the Reichsverband (i.e. Reiterabzeichen - bronze) instead of the regular cavalry training.

Edited by Naxos

Hardy,

Sorry that I misunderstood what you said in your earlier post. Thanks for taking the time to reiterate it to me. I thought that I was clear in my firt posting pictures of my badge but it would seem that I was not. The badge came on a third cavalry tunic of prewar design. For this time frame the waffenfarbe would be yellow and it is. Your info in your thread informed me that a Reiterabzeichen worn on a cavalry uniform should be either silver or gold. Hence my comments that a bronze badge on my uniform would not be correct. My initial reading of your post in reponse to the posting of my pictures was that you were saying that if the waffenfarbe was yellow that it had to be recce. In rereading it it seems that you are just giving me some possible options for the correct wear of a bronze badge. Once again, I am sorry for my misunderstanding of your post.

Regards,

Gordon

No worries Gordon!

Yes, if your tunic is from a cavalryman, there is no need for a Reiterabzeichen in bronze since his riding training and qualifications exceeded a Reiterabzeichen III.

Soldiers and Officers of other arms, like Infantry, Signals, and Police etc. had to qualify for horseback duty through the Reiterabzeichen program of the Reichsverband für Zucht und Prüfung des Deutschen Warmbluts.

The Wehrmacht or SS put their candidates for mounted duties through a riding course given by a Riding Instructor. Then the candidates had to take a three-part exam consisting of Horsemanship-theory, Dressage riding and Jumping over fences. All three exams had to be passed to be awarded the Reiterabzeichen Klasse III (bronze).

By wearing the Reiterabzeichen a Soldier, NCO or Officer showed his mounted duty qualification.

The silver Reiterabzeichen Klasse II could be awarded by either taking an advanced-riding-skills examination or through merit (winnings in either Jumping, Racing, Eventing or Dressage competitions on a national level.

The golden Reiterabzeichen Klasse I was only awarded through winnings in Competitions of the highest levels.

The Reiterabzeichen qualification program was (and still is) also available to civilians.

Regards Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Here are some examples from award booklets.

First: 1933, to a Gefreiter of 13th company in Infanterie-Regiment 11 (still Reichsheer)

Second: 1942, to a Hauptmann der Sicherheits-Polizei of SS-Polizei-Regiment 15

Now two Civilians

First: 1935, to a Salesman from Hamburg

Second: 1940, to a young woman from Leipzig.

Her certificates are signed by the judges Oberstleutnant Richter and Major Schönberg.

Edited by Naxos

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Reiterabzeichen "bronze"

Award # 5035 (since 1945) January 22, 1953

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-1062-126274546939.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-1062-126274548207.jpg

The Reiterabzeichen awarded in 1953 - It is unlike other post-war Horseman-awards, the Bronze and needle-set-up is very similar to pre-war L.Chr.Lauer awards.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-1062-126274654582.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-1062-126274656404.jpg

Edited by Naxos