News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps Insignia

As an aside.

The originals of this badge were in black painted brass.

Just like a WW1 Wound Badge in Black.

Simply executed.

Great find, Don.

Welcome to the club.

By my reckoning, the MWH badge is rarer even than a WW1 FW TK !! ;)

3 x MWH badges known worldwide.

4 x FW TKs known worldwide.

But ............... only 2 x black TKs known worldwide! ;)

Edited by Robin Lumsden

So ...................... three out of nine ain't bad.

Took almost 40 years of searching ..............................

but .................... difficult combo to beat.

:)

Are you saying you waited 40 years for a black skull that did not exist in the collecting world until 3 years ago... :-) ??

You should play the stock market with ESP like that !! :lol:

This was recently offered on ebay. Claims to be an Kragenabzeichen for Freiwilligen Bataillon Schade. They were made up from FR34 with the same regimental symbol. So I guess it makes sense. I looked in Woolley's book on the Freikorps but couldn't find any information regarding them. Do some of you lads seen this before in a book or maybe as a live Kragenabzeichen?

pyrZt.jpg

pyrZt.jpg

Queen Viktoria of Sweden were the Chef of FR34 and they used a variation of her chiffre as the regimental "number". So the connection with Sweden is certainly there. But a thicker version was used by the regiment on the shoulderboards.

Yes, the seller stated that the ribbon did not belong to it orignally.

This badge was actually worn as a sleeve badge by Freiwilligen-Bataillon Schade (Haarcke 775.1).

The badge on eBay looks correct. But, according to the seller was 4 x 2.5 cm which is smaller than others I've seen which are 5 cm. But, it could be a variation.

Here is a pic of a pair of shoulder board devices for the 34th that sold on eBay about the same time as a comparison. Given the high price, I suspect that someone thought these were also worn by the Freikorps.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/261140939295?nma=true&si=Zt4e2rFYYkiXfeWn24Jp4wq4VCE%3D&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true

Ouch... that was pretty high!!

This is why I personally tend to stay away from Freikorps badges that are 'leftovers' from the Imperial period, unless there's a very reasonable amount of proof that they were actually used in the Freikorps.

A major portion of the historical records of the Freikorps were destroyed in a bombing raid in 1945. Therefore, there are large gaps in the information, which leads to all kinds of fantasies appearing on the market. Although, other records have come to light and keep being discovered, the wide-open nature of the Freikorps period requires a lot of research, cross-referencing and cooperation among knowledgeable collectors and the few dealers who are actually honest.

Verkuilen Ager, one of the few true Freikorps experts told me way back in 1977 that fakes were already being made of certain Freikorps pieces, and other items that weren't Freikorps at all were being passed off as Freikorps. Those pieces are now almost 40 years old and many have passed into the realm of the authentic. Unlike with 3rd Reich and Imperial German material, wherein there is no shortage of true experts and excellent books to consult, the Freikorps period is lacking in expertise. I bought my first Freikorps piece in 1969. But, I wouldn't presume to call myself an expert, as I still make mistakes and am always learning something new.

It's a fascinating period, still open to in-depth research and new discoveries. But, by its very nature, it is somewhat frightening for the collector.

I bought my first Freikorps piece in 1969. But, I wouldn't presume to call myself an expert, as I still make mistakes and am always learning something new.

1969! You are one old the old guys! For some reason i thought I was no longer the youngest on the forum....

1969, I was just out of Dadsbag on the way to making my debut on the world stage!

You have been doing Freikoprs for a long time!!

I bought my first Freikorps piece in 1969. But, I wouldn't presume to call myself an expert, as I still make mistakes and am always learning something new.

1969! You are one old the old guys! For some reason i thought I was no longer the youngest on the forum....

1969, I was just out of Dadsbag on the way to making my debut on the world stage!

You have been doing Freikoprs for a long time!!

I'm 60 year old Chris. This is my 2nd go 'round collecting. I collected from around 1958, when my Dad gave me a couple of German Breast Eagles he brought back from the war, until 1995, when I sold off the last of my Imperial German collection and all my first Freikorps collection. During that period, I also collected British and Canadian cap badges (in the 1960s), Waterloo medals and the MGSM (in the 1970s), bits and pieces of 3rd Reich stuff (up until the early 70s). In 1969 I bought an RAO 4th class for $15 and got hooked on Imperial German orders and decorations. At the same time, I bought a Silesian Eagle 2nd class for $8 and a Baltic Cross for $5 and that got me started on Freikorps. As I got more into that stuff, I dumped the 3rd Reich stuff and the Waterloos and MGSMs.

I only started collecting again a couple of years ago by chance, when I found a copy of von Salomon's Freikorps book at a book fair, which peaked my interest again.