News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian - Star of Military Valour Awards

Guest Darrell

I don't know whether this question deserves a new topic,

but I'm wondering how they deal with anonymous decorations for SAS etc???

Let's say,

a SAS receives a MC, but because of his identy, the award wouldn't be gazetted with his full name, but instead just a mention of a SAS receiving a MC, right?

But can he wear his decoration in public? Won't this be recognised when someone receives a anonymous MC and suddenly Sgt X wears a MC....

What's the policy with this kind of stuff??

Kind regards,

Jacky

What you try to say is that he, as long as he is within the SAS, he can't wear his MC in public ???

This due to the chance of getting recognised as a SAS??

This question isn't specifically about SAS, but just a secret office/action and a member receives a quite high medal.

Wouldn't it attract attention if sergeant X all of a sudden wears a MC, but wasn't gazetted?? Thus he must have been the SAS-man who received also a MC......

Couldn't that conflict with the "secret"sense around the operation?

If I'm correct, Austalia recently awarded two bravery awards to two SAS, or something like that,

but due to all the mystery around it, I wondered if those two would be allowed to wear their medals...

Even if this could help others to find out who the two SAS were....

They were broadcasted anonymous, just as two SAS soldiers to receive high bravery awards.....

Kind regards,

Jacky

At the risk of wandering off topic slightly here, I believe that the CIA has a whole series of honours and awards. While some of them are certainly of the "QM and train" type, presumably at least a few are given for work which is classifed "secret" or, in afew cases "didn't happen". I'd always assumed that the recipient got to say "Gee, thanks!" and then pack it a way in a trunk to gloat over in retirement and leave behind to mystify the kids.

I'd guess that. while most serving soldiers like to wear their awards, a "secret" MC to the SAS would be treasured (or not) by the recipient as proof that his peers and superiors in SAS knew what he'd done, and that the sort of person to whom such an award is given wouldn't feel compelled to wear in his home unit or talk about it in pubs.

• 1 month later...

Pride mixed with great sorrow for grieving Calgary father Tim Goddard yesterday, when his daughter's courage and sacrifice on the Afghanistan battlefield were posthumously recognized with the Canadian military's Meritorious Service Medal.

Capt. Nichola Goddard, 26, died last May after a long battle with Taliban insurgents west of Kandahar, making the young artillery captain Canada's first female combat casualty.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2007/0...647304-sun.html

The medal shown in the original post is the Meritorious Service Cross (MSC) and not the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM). Click on the link to see the MS Medal. http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awa...t=3&Q_ID=30 Both the MSC and the MSM have civilian equivalents. The medals are identical but the ribbons include a central white stripe for the civilian awards.