News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet belt buckles

Takc

Also, let's start a topic on the soviet belt buckles.

One may think that there were only three or four modifications - maybe five.

But actually, there were about of a hundred if we take both military and civil kinds, including their year modifications.

here is the militia belt buckle, mod. 1947-1955 (1958-9).

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naval admiral parade

also, if somebody is interested, here is a link to the work in progress - a site of my very good friend, who collects world buckles.

He has a number of pictures of different soviet belt buckles.

www.pryaga.nm.ru

i will post miner's helmet when I will get a more professional digital photo camera, because my current cam does not provide good pics...

or if you want, I can post bad pix, not a problem.

here is a schoolboy's belt buckle, postwar, untill 60-ies.

Wow.

Never seen one of those before!

I am afraid it's not original, however, I do not know.

I have seen the dembel buckles of similar or even higher quality.

If you look at the belt attachment loops, the similar config can be found at the 50-60 era buckles.

ww2 buckles usually have attachment loops made of round wire, often even two loops separately.

This one has the rounded corners, typical 50-60 era attachment loops and applied emblem.

However, I must admit, that the emblem is very well done.

I think this to be an original, but 50's era buckle. Like I said, I do not know much about it other than it was likey an artillery cadet uniform item. I think if you could hold it an see the natural verdigris and deep patina you would agree. Such is not easily or convincingly faked.

Mike

I think this to be an original, but 50's era buckle. Like I said, I do not know much about it other than it was likey an artillery cadet uniform item. I think if you could hold it an see the natural verdigris and deep patina you would agree. Such is not easily or convincingly faked.

Mike

Mike, the main important thing is that the cadets of artillery had worn regular buckles with only star after 45-46.

this is why odds arose.

Takc,

Yes, I understand the concern when the reverse does not follow exactly like most others. Likewise with your statement about cadets after the war. Other than it's obvious age, the thing that makes mee keep faith in it and also what adds to the mystery is the manner in which I acquired this belt.

It came from a friend of mine in your part of the world. He found it being sold simply as old junk, useless Soviet crap and not at this rarest of Soviet buckles as you say and not in the militaria market. The buckle and the attached leather belt was aquired for a price well below what just the leather belt might sell for in St. Pete militaria market. I do not mean a price that was simply a "bargain" for a piece of rare militaria, but an insignificant amount of money in any sense. Barely one US dollar.

This alone certainly does not make it original I admit. However, if someone were going to go to such great lengths to make such a high quality fake of a rare bucke, I would more believe that it would be attempted to sell it as such and at the price it would command. I guess it will continue to be a mystery.

Mike

Edited by Frontovik Mike

I guess it will continue to be a mystery.

Mike

Mike, it may be a dembel as well.

If I be lucky enough, I will try to find and show the dembel navy buckle I had for a time, with appliable anchor-and-star emblem, of a very good quality. Actually, when a soldier have nothing to do, he makes beautiful dembel things :) as mad as pretty.