News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for a Mr. Delmee Murray DSO MBE

A few months ago I was in Shrewsbury as a guest off the Light Infantry. I talked to a lot of veterans there. I wasn't able to remember all of there names. One of them was a DSO, MBE winner who served as an officer in the 17th Dogra ( Jogra ? ) regiment in the Dutch East Indies. After the war he served in the KSLI. He also told me about on of his forefathers. A Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy,

Who could this man be? I believe his name sounded like Delmee Murray.

This is what he wrote in a book for me:

From the picture it looks like 1/17th Dogra Regiment, who did serve in Burma and postwar in Indonesia. I have the regimental history at home, so might be able to pin it down, especially if he had the D.S.O.

Right, Michael, the 1/17th Dogras. I am at work now too, with all sources at home. He will be easily traced.

Maj. George Philip Alexander Delm?-Murray, joined from British service July 18, 1941 - to K.S.L.I. October 24, 1946.

His D.S.O. was for the "Chocolate Staircase" on the Tiddim Road (Milestone 158). L.G. March 20, 1945. He was slightly wounded in the fighting in Sourabaya.

MiD LG July 17, 1945

Major LG July 8, 1955

M.B.E. (Mily) LG June 3, 1966 "formerly on loan to Government of Malaysia"

Lt-Col. LG December 31, 1966

Sounds like quite a man.

Found his family tree online... A real military familiy!

Vice-Admiral James Arthur Murray

b. 25 May 1790, d. 6 March 1860

George Delm? Murray

b. 6 October 1854, d. 1 April 1915

Major George Arthur Delm? Murray

23 January 1879, d. 30 September 1944

Major George Arthur Delm? Murray fought in the Boer War, where he won the King's and Queen's medals, with clasps. He fought in the First World War, where he was mentioned in despatches. He gained the rank of Major in the service of the Shropshire Light Infantry. He was decorated with the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.)

Lt.-Col. George Philip Alexander Delm?-Murray

b. 13 July 1921

Lt.-Col. George Philip Alexander Delm?-Murray gained the rank of Temporary Major in the service of the Indian Army. He gained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the service of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry. He fought in the Second World War, in Burma, where he was wounded. He was decorated with the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) in 1945. He was invested as a Member, Order of the British Empire (M.B.E.).

He married:

Alison Elizabeth Beddows who's father was Colonel William John Beddows. Decorated with the Military Cross