News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first DDR buys

• Replies 56
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grant,

The Pestalozzi-Medaille fur true Dienste was introduced on 15.11.1956. They came in Gold for 40 years service (30 years after 1971) Silver for 30 years service (20 years after 1966) and Bronze for 10 years service. Apparently they were 32mm in diametre except from 1966-1973 when they measured 32.4mm. Sources vary on the type of material used to make the medals but they were probably made from nickle until some time in 1986 when they started to make them from iron until the end of the DDR in 1990.

Ref: Bartells "DDR-Spezialkatalog 1049-1990" and "Deutsche Ordern und Ehrenzeichen"

Regards,

Gordon

Hello Gordon ,

Thanks for the info , can you tell me exactly what they were awarded for i,ve found 2 answers on google one said for youth service and another stating they were given to teachers or was it both !!??

Hello Gordon ,

Thanks for that , i just thought youth service would mean being an instructor in the DDR version of the hitler youth or working in a youth hostel , something along those lines . But teachers is fine ! :cheers:

Hi,

there is a medal for pupils, not FDJ, but GDSF (Gesellschaft f?r Deutsch-Sowjetische Freundschaft), the

Johann-Gottfried-Herder-Medaille

For excellent achievements with the apprenticeship and learning the Russian language.

In Gold, Silver and Bronze

With a blue clasp:

1957-1963 for pupils, students and teacher

1957-1972 for pupils and students

1957-1989 for pupils

With a grey or green clasp:

1973-1989 for students

With a red clasp:

1964-1989 for teacher

Regards

Uwe

Wow Grant... you're hitting this hot and heavy!!!! :jumping::jumping: Some fantastic pieces there! I've never seen one of the marksmans badges with numbers! :jumping::jumping: And so far I don't have any of the navy badges so envy you that one. And on the cased badge I've seen two together but not three... just some terrific finds there and great additions to your collection! :beer: Keep up the great work!!!!

Dan :cheers:

I,ve seen the numbered ones go up to 10 in the roman numerals apparently these were the earlier ones bronze and silver 1-10 but then they changed to a simpler bronze , silver gold .

As for the clasp i had to fight for it but i do know that the navy stuff is scarce so i rolled with it .

Don't know what the 3 flags badge is for i,m just waiting for my Guru Gordon to enlighten me !!

Hi Grant,

I can show you nearly all the different pieces you need in a collection, but there are several different versions, enamellled, varnished, with annual figures and coated with "Plaste". And also mixed!

In my collection is a bundle of documents and medals for a man with 7 documents for a "Kollektiv der sozialistischen Arbeit" and 3 documents for a "Aktivist der sozialistischen Arbeit"

In the picture you can see the "Kollektiv der sozialistischen Arbeit" for 1 award (both left, upper only in 1966), for 2, 3, 4 and 5 awards, below on the right only in 1975, to wear without the medal.

Regards

Uwe

Thanks for the picture and explaination Uwe , i understand them now . I have the 3 and 5 so i need the 1,2 and 4 to get the basic group.

Thanks Vic , can't wait till we get those goodies off Dan ! :jumping:

No neither can I, the only prob is that I am away next week :( and I dont think I can stand the exitment of waiting to come back to see if they have arrived :unsure:

Vic

Sailor clasp II class , Thanks Torsten !

Grant,

Your clasp is a Classification badge for sea going personnel. It came in three classes. This particular type was used from 1986 to 1990. Treat them gently as the plastic insert in the centre is just glued into place and comes off rather easily. All of the badges are identical except for the centre plastic piece. The plastic pieces are very thin and break easily if they come off. I have glued them back into place successfuly but you need to be careful and only use very little gluse so it doesn't squeeze out around the edges.

Regards,

Gordon