News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian cloth patches

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my brassard that I was issued when I was in East Timor on HMAS Success, nicknamed by us "The Steath Tanker" as we got no recognition from the press. As it was it worked in our favour, the SAS used us as a mobile platform to conduct recon missions into West Timor near Suai and beach "sweeps" at Ocussi Enclave.

Nice brassard Johnsy, my eldest son served with 103 Sig Squadron in East Timor, and rubs it in to me that when he came back to Australia he was flown back in a Luftwaffe aircraft. (as I have a few Luftwaffe items in the collection, I have never flown in a Lw aircraft!).

Here ia a brassard that was worn by a cousin attached to the Commonwealth games last year.

Bob

One that I wore way back in 1972, for Medium Tank Trials, we did the communications for the portion of the trials that were based out of Sellheim camp near Charters Towers, North Queensland. The types of tanks involved were the Leopard 1, and the US M60, with the Leopard being accepted into the Australian Army as a result.

Bob

Hi Johnsy,

Interesting as I thought the old marksman's badge was no longer used, good to see it still being worn. For some reason I thought you were army, your bits and pieces told the full story, if you ever get to the Williamstown dockyard, look me up!

Bob

Hi Johnsy,

Interesting as I thought the old marksman's badge was no longer used, good to see it still being worn. For some reason I thought you were army, your bits and pieces told the full story, if you ever get to the Williamstown dockyard, look me up!

Bob

Unlikely Bob, unless I change over to Anzacs (we get "streamed" into different classes of ship). If I do a visit to Melbourne though, I will give you a bell. My tally band is cloth, though I guess that my ID dics were pushing the boundry of the definition of cloth. I do have an old fibre set, thats nearly cloth, isn't it?

Despite the rivalries the navy has worked hand in hand with the army in recent years. Since East Timor that relationship has been very close and should increase when we get the new FAT ships to replace HMA Ships Kanimbla and Manoora. Tobruk has a soldier detatchment permanently posted to it also, I will get a phot of their brassard to post here. Now if the army would only learn to tell when they intend to buy new tanks so that we actually have ships that can carry them...

Regards;

Johnsy

• 4 weeks later...