News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Correct. The Kyffhäuserbund-Ehrenzeichen was an award for outstanding membership. There are two classes 2nd class in silver and 1st class in gold. We can find six different models. M1 is with text "Der Kyffhäuserbund seinem Kameraden", M1a with clasp, M1b with small metal band. After renaming the Kyffhäuserbund to NS-Reichskriegerbund the awards become the text "Der NS-Reichskriegerbund seinem Kameraden". This M2 is only with small metal band to fix it. And, of course, all in silber and gold and M1 and M2 with award documents.

This awards are worn on the right side armband,half under Reichskriegerbund-Emblem.

125507d1280414775t-these-badges-o-k-jahr

Hi Debbi/Ulsterman! Thanks for this, I always thought my Ehrenzeichen WAS a cap badge! Now all I need is an armband to pin mine on and I'm set! Just to clarify things for my own records, do I have a 2nd class M1, or M1a? It is the pinback, so what is the difference between the M1 and M1a please?

Ges. Gesch. mean "applied for patent"

Ummmm...gotta go look back to see difference between M1 and M1a versions

and

bund means "association" or "group" and has "fraternal" connotations- like "brotherhood' etc. but not as informal. So, no difference. Kyffsr. is the mountain where the original war memorial was put up. These vets groups ALL have political overtones- as they were used by the Conservatives as socio-political bulwarks against the rapidly expanding (and radical) SPD/KPD. Some Kyfssrbnd. groups did not permit Jewish members and others prohibited SPD membership.

Like you Troy I just need the armband and a gold badge to make my little collection as complete as I will be able to do

I picked this up the other week to match the 40 year badge that goes with it.

I personally like the history of the signature as well. The authorizing signature is, "Reichskriegerführer", (National Soldier's League Leader), and "General der Infanterie, SS-Obergruppenführer", Wilhelm Reinhard

Interesting career had he "a highly decorated WWI veteran having been awarded the Iron Cross in both 1ST and 2ND classes and a Pour le Mérite in August 1917 followed by the Oak-leaves to the Pour le Mérite in October 1918 among numerous other awards. During the Third Reich era Reinhard was bestowed an NSDAP Golden party badge on March 22ND 1938, the War Merit Cross in both 1ST and 2ND classes, an SS-Totenkopf, (Death's Head), Ring on October 8TH 1937 and an Ehrendegen der RFSS, (Honor Sword of the SS Supreme Commander), on March 18TH 1939. Reinhard held the position of Reichskriegerführer from March 18TH 1938 until March 3RD 1943 when the position was abolished."

Mel the Kiwi

Hi Don! I have recently purchased the small version on the LHS for myself, although it does not have the same pin, just a straight pin with no knurling(?) marks on it, and it has no makers mark on the top reverse, but does have GES. GESCH on the bottom. How exactly would I describe this pin for my records please? And what does Ges. Gesch indicate? Thanks mate!

Hi Troy,

Could you post an image of the pin please?

Cheers

Don

• 4 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Really nice!

These badges have real political/historical significance -as they were issued by the Nazis as an attempt to "coordinate" and de-fang/make impotent the old veterans' associations. At one point almost one in three adult German males belonged to one club or another and there was an enormous overlap with shooting clubs and musical societies as well. The older veterans' associations were a solid part of German society and culture and had enormous political importance. A lot of these older guys got dragged back into combat in 1945 as Volksturm members.

The photos are from Rick Research's collection.

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Thought that I would post the Fördernde Mitglieder badge, equivalent to the SS/FM but actually much rarer than the SS version.

This is the second design, the first used the monument design of the earlier badge.

Cheers

Don

• 3 months later...