Gentleman's Military Interest Club
sturm

Order of the Bath help need!

hello all

does anybody knows how much order of the bath (grandcross and kommander cross) went to foreignes peoples in the period 1815-1830 for military honnor( ICH DIEN). does exist a list of this people.

i hope someone is able to help me.

thank you in advance (sorry for my very bad english!)

heinrich

Edited by Chairman

Seems difficult unless someone is deep in the subject.

I suggest you should write the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood. If someone can help, it is certainly them.

The address is:

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD

St. James's Palace, London SW1

Best regards,

Lukasz

That is so early -- in an era that attracts little phaleristic interest -- I'd not be sure where to start. Don't hold you breath for a response from the Chancery though; they have a small staff and are not equipped to do research for people (or even to be open for researchers). The National Archives (PRO) would likely have the sources, but you'd need to do your own work.

The order was awarded to foreigners both in single-class and in multi-class (GCB, KCB, CB) varieties.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

hello

thank you for your answers, but i will try to search and find more information.

i know that is very early.

does someone know how many GCB of the Order of the bath was awarded for the war against napoleon to foreigners? this would help a litlle bid.

thanks

heinrich

Sturm - I have only some small knowledge of this decoration but you may find it helpful. As far as I know the first foreigner to be awarded this was Fursten Dietrichstein zu Nikolsburg und Grafen Alexander Mensdorff-Pouilly in 1869. You will understand these titles, I do not. The Order began in 1725 so it looks as though no memberships were given in Napolean's time. Foreign recipients, by the way, are only given Honorary Membership unless they held a British Military Commission at the time. Since 1869 I think only 5 more have been given. As Lukasz says the Central Chancery may be able to help more.

You are probably correct, Heinrich, these awards were given primarily for political reasons and I see that William fled to England with his father for many years then returned to Holland. Most probably had some monetary or military backing from England to regain his possessions. I have no knowledge of any other ones at this time, good luck in your search.

hello

the second one which i know is ernst august I king of hannover. he became the grand cross in 1815. and several of his kommander generals got it too.

i searching one of them.

thank you!

regards

heinrich

Not sure if this is the man that your looking for, but Hannoverian General Carl von Alten received the KCB. Additionally, the following also received the Order during this time period:

Gebhard von Blucher-GCB

Mikhail Barclay de Tolly-unknown but believe it would be GCB

Karl Ludwig Johan Archduke of Austria-GCB

Carl Phillip von Schwarzenburg-GCB

Johan von Frimont-GCB

Carl Freiherr von Vincent-KCB

Ludwig Wallmoden-Gimborn-KCB

GM von Muffling-KCB

John

Greetings, I am a brand new member of this fine forum. I have an interest in finding out if this officer was truly in the rolls as a recipient of the KC Order of Bath in the year bracket shown. I already have his biography. Thanks 

IMG_20170212_225756030_(1).jpg

I can only suggest searching the London Gazette.  It is available on-line but can be frustrating, as the search engine is not infallible by any means.

I took a quick look, but both his surname and forenames are so common as to throw up dozens of [false?] positives in a quick search.  A few more details of his biography might help narrow the parameters.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, eurorders said:

Greetings, I am a brand new member of this fine forum. I have an interest in finding out if this officer was truly in the rolls as a recipient of the KC Order of Bath in the year bracket shown. I already have his biography. Thanks 

His KCB was gazetted on 22 June 1909 (6th entry down from the top left):

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28263/supplement/4854/data.htm

Edited by Trooper_D