News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Reichsbahn Uniforms

Gents,

Just saw a thread where someone mentioned they liked Reichsbahn items. They certainly do have their appeal to me, especially the early ones. I'm going to start this post today with just the hat. Notice that the peak of the cap has been "pinched in" om both sides the way Heer Third Reich hats were often worn. The hat actually dates from around 1954. Over the next few days I'll add the matching uniform and great coat that all belong to the same person. Note the name on the makers lable in the cap. More on that tomorrow!!!!

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Grant,

The hats were very similar to those used in the Third Reich period. Especially since EREL was one of the prime maker of hats in that time period. Until the early 50's the Reichsbahn continued to wear their old Third Recih uniforms, with the insignia removed of course. They then produced a new set of uniform regulations and the uniforms changed to a more Russian form, specifically the shoulderboards, as you will see when I post the uniform that came with this hat. Hopefully later today.

Regards,

Godon

Guest Rick Research

Are there any reference books on such civil organizations showing when uniform changes were made?

That is one of the particularly frustrating things about Soviet non-military uniformed organizations.

It's always struck me as odd how... "Third Reich" DDR uniforms continued to be. :speechless1:

Rick,

There are several very good books on the subject of Reichsbahn uniforms, ranks etc. A big and very popular collecting field in Germany. I'll put a list together, along with some web site addresses, and post them as soon as I can. In the meantime, here is a better shot of the boards.

Regards,

Gordon

Rick,

This is the best Internet site that I know of for Reichsbahn info. http://www.eisenbahnraritaeten.de/

The books I have were written by Hartmut Sch?ttge. I have three of his books. They are all titled Eisenbahneruniformen der Deutsche Reichsbahn. The first book covers 1946-1956; the second 1957-1967 and the third 1968-1978. Ive heard that he has writtena fourth book but his web site seems to have disappeared. There are other books in German on the Reichsbahn but I don't have the info on them here with me.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Paul,

Reichsbahn soviet style boards are rare but do turn up on ebay.de from time to time. Bidding on these baords reminds me of a shark frenzy! Original uniforms with these boards rarely come up for sale and this is the only complete and matching set I have ever seen. Here is a picture of the top coat that completes the set. There were pants with the tunic.

Regards,

Gordon