News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Obtaining information on Imperial German Observers

I obtained an Imperial Observer's badge and was told that it belonged to someone named Hans Loens. There were some identity papers for this man, but it seems they have recently been lost to history before I obtained the piece. It would be nice to know some information on this individual so that his name isn't forever lost to history.

Can someone direct me to an archive, or other referenc material where I might start a search?

Sincere thanks,

Steven

Guest Rick Research

A name and nothing else simply isn't enough.

There was exactly one Prussian officer pre-war named L?ns but that doesn't mean THAT one was yours. It does, however, give some indication of how unusual that name was-- if what you have been given is accurate.

The Imperial army was a FEDERAL body. There isn't a central registry, because each of the 4 Kingdoms had their own separate armies-- and records. Even with a photo showing awards or a specific unit, 99% of wartime reserve Leutnants (the bulk of the wartime officer corps) are STILL going to be hopeless. It needs a paper trail that can be followed.

If it was easy it would be... easy!

A name and nothing else simply isn't enough.

There was exactly one Prussian officer pre-war named L?ns but that doesn't mean THAT one was yours. It does, however, give some indication of how unusual that name was-- if what you have been given is accurate.

The Imperial army was a FEDERAL body. There isn't a central registry, because each of the 4 Kingdoms had their own separate armies-- and records. Even with a photo showing awards or a specific unit, 99% of wartime reserve Leutnants (the bulk of the wartime officer corps) are STILL going to be hopeless. It needs a paper trail that can be followed.

If it was easy it would be... easy!

Rick,

I was afraid that this was going to be the case, although I didn't realize the level of difficulty that is involved with pinning an individual down. What really bothers me, isknowing that somewhere out there the "lost" identity papers are waiting to be found- if in fact as you say, the information I was given is correct...

Interesting about the last name, I was not aware that it was not a "commonly" encountered name. Anyhow, thanks very much for the reply, and explanation. ;)