News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does this qualify as "Rare"

Guest paracollector

Guest paracollector

I'm thinking only 40-some made may qualify this as a "Rare" medal.

Only Medal awarded to Confederate Troops during the Civil War. Suprising how many Collectors have never heard about it.

Link to the medal:

http://www.2020site.org/medals/davisguard.html

Link to one lucky dude:

http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/tenbest94/9.html

$11,000 in 1993, wonder what one is worth today.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit that I have never heard of it. WOW...that's a great piece! I wonder how many people have seen or may have one, that does not know what it is or was? Thanks for posting1

I too have never heard of this medal. Thus far, two of the 41 medals have been accounted for!

Was there a ribbon for this medal? If so, does anyone have a clue as to what it looked like?

Best regards

Paul Reck

• 1 month later...

I believe the ANS Collection has at least two and there is at least one in a private collection.

In the late 60s-early 70s, these were churned out in some quantity, but the copies lacked the reeded edges of the coins from which they were originally made. The copies do still pop up from time to time. Paul Till wrote an article for OMSA's "Medal Collector" on the copies in August 1973.

Unfortunately, these get forgotten because they don't show up in "modern" sources. That's the value of classic sources like Belden's "US War Medals".