News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Parade Uniforms - all eras

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting. Are the medals legitimate, authentic, and original, or are they cosmetic (fraudulent) add-ons unrelated to the tunics??

I can not speak for Nack, but in my case, only the Lenin shown here is a reproduction. The remainder are authentic.

I affixed them using my tastes and from my observations, as I own hundreds of period photos. I only wanted to fill holes from previous decorations (only unknown provenance "knows" what they were from) in the fabric and add some colour to these guys...

I am mainly into uniform items and kit, and usually aquire orders and medals only to adorn my uniform displays. Therefore, for the price I would need to pay, for example, seven hundred fifty bucks plus (I assume that is the going rate as I am typing this) for one Lenin, I can own two of these gorgeous parade uniforms.

I also have recently aquired a few other repros of higher orders and second award Red Banners that will serve the same purpose. I have not yet decided on what I will use them on as of yet...

However, it would be a nice thing, really, to be a wealthy man, as I would not think twice about using authentic examples of the high end ODMs to decorate my men...

Here on Earth, finding a legitimate, authentic, and original pre 1960 Soviet uniform with it's "original to the man" (unlike it's Western veteran counterpart's; and many of those I have seen are questionable to me in my opinion) decorations still affixed, is a beautiful, wonderful, and fanciful thing...

I have yet to experience such a "score"... My kudos to anybody that has.

Edited by RichieC

Guest Rick Research

I agree. Properly displayed, dress uniforms require appropriate decorations, and as long as holes are not being gouged in where none were, then there SHOULD be full awards shown appropriate to the rank and period. An "underdressed" Colonel looks just as strange as an "overdressed" Corporal, and the above look good to me. :beer:

One of the reasons I stayed away from parade dress uniforms-- back in the days when you could actually GET older uniforms :speechless1: -- was EXACTLY because I was not going to shell out (then) $300-400 for any old Lenin just to properly fit a 25 years service officer's tunic on a display mannequin.

1940s-60s Service tunics were much "cheaper," though finding appropriate pinback ribbon bars is also difficult. I've only found a few of those with pins rusting in-place enough to feel confident that they were original to the tunic.

Though every so often, one finds something TRULY bizarre and "impossible"...

My question is still unanswered...

I couldn't find a photo in my collection with just a Guards badge and a screwback award, but your order seems correct.

All the awards are authentic and period, but none came with the uniform they reside on. To my knowledge, I don't actually know anyone who has a uniform that has the former owner's awards. The awards are to add the full impression the uniform was meant to have. Fraud implies a bad purpose, i.e. an intent to deceive, which is not the reason these hunks of metal fill the holes in the uniforms.

The jewel of my parade uniforms, M43 NKVD legal branch.

Edited by Nack

Guest Rick Research

That's a beauty! Are the collar tabs and cuff spools metal or bullion?

Regarding placement of the Red Star and Guards Badge, I believe that proper precedence of awards worn on both sides of the chest works with higher/senior closest to the button-front and then out towards the shoulders. But in reality nobody ever seems to have been in complete compliance with regulations, as numerous photos threads scattered through the back pages here have shown. I haven't got any photos with just one screwback and a Guards badge, but in the ones with several screwbacks, the Guards Badge is always worn lower, so less "senior." That would make it an "outie."

Richie, your airforce uniform lacks golden|silver stripes at the collar tabs

I believe that this is the case because he is the rank of Private.

The man in your photo is a Master Sergeant .

Edited by RichieC

That's a beauty! Are the collar tabs and cuff spools metal or bullion?

Thanks! The spools and tabs are bullion and wire (?). Really nice work, with a nice accent of gold wire. A lot of work for something rarely seen!

Edited by Nack

I believe that this is the case because he is the rank of Private.

The man in your photo is a Master Sergeant .

yes, I forgot about it.

what I have always being finding - sergeants

I have two - the same kit as at the photo posted by me and the artillery senior sergeant - black branch colour and artie emblems.

I'll show it tomorrow.

It seems very nice. Model of after 1955? I have never seen one for sale.

Yes, they are both with VVS after 55, I only had made VVS basing on the photo I posted, and artie was a pure dembel with a wooden inserts in the collar tabs and shoulderboards (can you imagine this dumbass making wooden shoulderboards? I can)

The artie was repaired alot - shoulderboards and collar tabs were repaired, original wool saved but wooden inserts in collar tabs were replaced; I also replaced the handmade shoulderboards with regular, retaining the original emblems, buttons and golden straps.