News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steinhauer Knight's Crosses

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Gordon.  I'm glad you're talking about S&L's here.  You no doubt read Dietrich's great research in discovering what I am convinced is a repair to the die that created the row of 'dents'. 

You kindly used my S&L which we now know has the dent row.  Can you still say based on workmanship, core and other features that this cross of mine is a wartime cross?

Thank you.

Brian,

If you refer to your S&L RK on Page 311 of my book, I'd be happy to have that one in my collection any time. I have no doubts about it.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Brian,

If you refer to your S&L RK on Page 311 of my book, I'd be happy to have that one in my collection any time. I have no doubts about it.

Ha, I have no problem providing it a home either. But I do think that your cross has the famous dent row and with the frosting puts the frosting on some of Dietrich's comments regarding the lack of such on the 'B' Types. Could you provide better detail of this arm to better see it please?

Guest Brian von Etzel

...and Gordon, please don't think I'm trying to start a row here. I think you may hold the key to this war/post-war conundrum. I have no doubt of that which is and is not 'right'... cool.gif

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Ha, I have no problem providing it a home either.  But I do think that your cross has the famous dent row and with the frosting puts the frosting on some of Dietrich's comments regarding the lack of such on the 'B' Types.  Could you provide better detail of this arm to better see it please?

Brian,

I have the first two examples in front of me right now and can provide any shots from any angle you like but unfortunately the one you are asking for is no longer with me. It was an identical twin to the second example shown. I know the images can be deceiving but I can assure you that it didn't have the dent row.

Marshall, thanks for posting another "right side up" version.? Until you posted yours I didn't have another one to compare to.? From your photos I agree that it's two different marks.

Larry/ Marshall, you are absolutely correct on this.

I've always found suggestions that a large firm such as Steinhauer would only have one stamp ( I can just visualise the production working waiting in the queue for their turn at using the stamp) or one style of stamp - (stamps being carefully checked to see that the sloped angle of the "4" on the new stamp matches exactly that on the others), more than just faintly ridiculous.

On the RK of the EK alone you have large 800, small 800, incused 800, 935 and two versions of the incused 4. Its not as if Steinhauer used a stylised company logo like GWL or Hermann Aurich where you'd expect a level of consistency. 4 is only a numeral for gawds sake !

Just in addition to this, Steinhauer also used a straighforward stamped "4" (i.e. as opposed to the more common incuse relief stamp.) as can occasionally be found on the ribbon loop for their EK2s and on their RK of the KVK.

I've always found suggestions that a large firm such as Steinhauer would only have one stamp ( I can just visualise the production working waiting in the queue for their turn at using the stamp) or one style of stamp - (stamps being carefully checked to see that the sloped angle of the "4" on the new stamp matches exactly that on the others), more than just faintly ridiculous.

On the RK of the EK alone you have large 800, small 800, incused 800, 935 and

Oh, I couldn't agree more! The notion that EVERYTHING has to be absolutely the same, including finish of the ring, outer corners and what have you is really absolutely ridiculous.

Dietrich

Oh, I couldn't agree more! The notion that EVERYTHING has to be absolutely the same, including finish of the ring, outer corners? and what have you is really absolutely ridiculous.

Dietrich

Ah yes Dietrich my friend, but there are so many " five minute experts" around who, a year or so ago, were asking advice on how to tell a Steinhauer from a Juncker and are now basking in the "expert" status that having the spare funds to rush out and buy "safe" RKs and DKs from "safe" sources brings. Followed of course by the "ooohs " and "aahs" of their acolytes on certain forums blush.gif

Thankfully these twats seem to have realised that their presence is not welcome here.

Guest Darrell

Ah yes Dietrich my friend, but there are so many " five minute experts" around who, a year or so ago, were asking advice on how to tell a Steinhauer from a Juncker and are now basking in the "expert" status that having the spare funds to rush out and buy "safe" RKs and DKs from "safe" sources brings.  Followed of course by the "ooohs " and "aahs" of their acolytes on certain forums  blush.gif

Exactly true Gordon ... and strangely enough, still absent from this forum. But somehow I don't think that will last long angry.gif

Hello Gents,

I was enjoying this forum and the beautifull pics of the RK,s but i especially loved the clear pic of the Grand cross, Thanks Gordon! smile.gif

Regards

Paul

Also can empathise with the sentiments about the "bought experts" lets do hope they do stay away... wink.gif

C'mon Gordon, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!! cheeky.gif

I wouldn't know a good RK unless it was dropped in my lap by someone who does. Assuming from the get-go that I'd be lucky to handle one of these ever, I've only gained the knowledge from forums and guys like you! I wouldn't touch one of these without having someone (like yourself) with years and years of experience looking it over with a microscope!

I wouldn't touch one of these without having someone (like yourself) with years and years of experience looking it over with a microscope!

If you ever need some very good pictures taken with a microscope for whatever badge, let me know. Always of service!

Dietrich

Rich,

Indeed, thats the one which found its way over to N.I.

Maybe you can confirm the point that it did not have the dent row referred to by Brian.

Gordon/Brian

The 'Type B' row dent that you speak of does not appear in this RK. This is a 'Type A' and Deitrich can also confirm this as I took it to the SOS2005 and a long time was spent going over the details with a loope.

Rich

I've just this minute found the original photos I took of my RK haul before I bought them.This is "as found" in the shop,just think this little lot cost me ?195 only 12 months ago!! jumping.gif

Excuse the quality of the pics,they were taken in a rush.

Cheers

Dave

[attachmentid=7215]