News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two Japanese Cavalry Sabres Type 32 c.1886

Hello All,

I am posting two Japanese Calvary Sabres Type 32 c.1886, one is longer than the other and I am wondering if this constitutes a different pattern. I will refer to them as the long and short pattern though this may technically be incorrect. It just makes this discussion easier and I hope clearer.

The Cavalry Sabre Type 32 replaced the 1877 pattern in about 1866 and while a fairly scarce sword it is generally not sought after by collectors due to its utilitarial and non-Japanese appearance. The blades were machine made and the steel saya (scabbard) has one ashi (attachment ring). I have read that these were used during the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05) and up to the end of WW II.

The top sword (long pattern) in the photo is the standard length for this pattern and is marked on the guard with the Koishikawa (Tokyo) Arsenal mark. It is numbered 73013 as is the saya.

The bottom (short pattern) example is a full two inches shorter that the standard issue with the saya being 2 1/2 inches shorter. This has NOT been a shortened broken blade. The length from the tip to the fuller is the same on both as is the length of the area from the guard to the fuller. I have had sabres that were broken and then repaired but these were parade sabres and not meant for battle. The scabbard "drag" is the same length on both scabbards or saya and the throat of the scabbards vary only by the width of the throat reinforcement piece. The accountability number on the sabre is 66535 with the saya number being the same though it's an over-stamp which may indicate that the original saya had been damaged and replaced. The arsenal marks on this sabre look a lot like the Kure Naval Arsenal mark though I don't think it is. I would not expect to find a Naval Arsenal mark on a cavalry sabre, besides I believe that the Kure Arsenal turned out bayonets during WW II. The lower accountability number is not indicitive of an earlier manufacturer as the two arsenals or manufacturers may have numbered their products independently of one another.

These were both purchased in the early 1970s. I say this because in 1985 a large number of similar swords were flooded onto the market by China. While these, at first glance, look like the Japanese Type 32 there are several obvious differences. I have owned one of these but soon traded it off as I felt it was an insult to the rest of my collection. Man, I'm taking my hobby way to seriously! :speechless:

If anyone has more infomation on these two sabres I would be most interested in hearing from you.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Here is the photo of the grip two of the Type 32 sabres. They look to be different in size but that is only due to my limited photographic skills. I have measured every aspect of these two sabres and the length seems to be the main difference.

There is one other difference that I will show in the next photo.

Brian

Here is the last photo of my Type 32 sabres. This shows the short pattern with a brass washer and the long pattern with a leather washer. These washers were installed to keep moisture out of the saya (scabbard) while the sword was in the scabbard. The brass washer is the same style that was used on easlier swords prior to the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05. It would be my guess that the use of the brass washer was discontinued due to the need for more swords during the war. This would make the short sabre an earlier pattern. The calvary sabre is used primarily as a replacement to the lance as well as providing a slashing weapon; the lance was not intended to be used as a slashing weapon. The fact that the later pattern (if I'm correct) is longer would make sence as the Army would want the longer sabre for battle. You don't need a long sabre if you are mainly involved in military parades.

Any thoughts on on my hypothesis?

Cheers

Brian

• 6 years later...

Hello Leo,

Many thanks for the information; you have made my day.

I'd as much as given up finding any additional information on the shorter example.

I still have the swords and will probably have them, and the rest of the collection, until they put me in the cold, cold ground so this information is not "late" in the least.

Thanks again for this invaluable information, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian