News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolia in March 2007

Hallo Ed, :beer:

thanks for the scenic shots, especialy the tank, my bro is an avid tank modeler and I will send him a copy of the photo for reference if you do not mind?

Please keep an eye open for any more "heavy metal" :P

Nice orders as well, these people seem to appreciate some colour on their decorations :jumping::jumping:

Have a nice vist, and stay safe.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

P.S. "Plastic Irish Pub" ??

Edited by Kev in Deva

• Replies 108
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most visitors today come either for the shamanistic stone cairn behind the memorial (shown in a few photos above, covered in goats helping themselves to food offerings) or for the views of Ulanbaatar.

Well, the view is nice . . .

Responses to questions:

1- Kev: "Plastic Irish Pub" - UB, like many cities, is infested with several "Irish" "theme pubs". Marketing. No Guinness, lots of Chengiz Khan Draft.

2- Benis: collectors meetings - There is a mixed coin-stamp-medal club, meets Sundays noon. Today is Sunday. Guess where I'm going.

3- Lukasz: new ribbons/medals - Not any (yet) everything except the Hero is still being awarded (simply no opportunity to do so?). (Though the nasty bronze Red Banner of Labor -- type 2.2 -- has never been awarded, current awards are still silver pinbacks, type 2.1 -- all type 2.2s we see are unawarded "escapees".) Apparently, there were supposed to be three classes of the new Order of Chengiz Khan (Battushig A 19), though no one seems to have remembered that. There is still occasional talk of the "need" for new awards but, so far, nothing has been done, Good!

Ed,

Great pictures especially for those like me who can't make the trip. Please wish Dr. Battushig well for me and pass on how much I enjoy his book. Stay Warm!!!

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Ed,

:jumping: GREAT pics!!! :jumping: Please keep 'em coming!!! The Order of Literacy Merit seems to have part of the pattern of the Order of the Polar Star. What is the significance of this design?

Ed,

The Order of Literacy Merit seems to have part of the pattern of the Order of the Polar Star. What is the significance of this design?

Aagh, how my poor heart aches, seeing these pix. Keep 'em coming Ed, if I almost close my eyes and look through the slits at your pictures, I feel as if I'm there... except for the cold of course. :cheeky:

Please give my warmest regards to Bat

Jan

Great pics Ed!

What is golden monument in post #42?

William

A Buddha (of course), recently erected by the South Koreans at the foot of Zaisan.

Though a nice new statue to Tsedenbal has just been erected in front of the State Theater.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Founded in the 1960s as a philatelic club, their interests have expanded into coins, phone cards, and of course ODM.

There was very little to be seen (even as compared with last summer!) and the same was true of the various dealers' shops which we visited afterwards. What little was seen (mainly badges, random medals, Polar Stars, and a few Combat Valors) was unremarkable, undocumented, and OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. (And that wasn't because it was a foreigner asking, trust me.)

(There were also a fair number of fakes, mainly of the Hero of Labor -- as discussed on another thread here. These aren't very dangerous when you actually hold them, but a bad scan might be more difficult. Be warned.)

The reason for the high prices? The internet. All know and quote and rely on Igor's site to price their goods.

Read it and weep. :(

Edited by Ed_Haynes