News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

43rd Manitoba Battalion, Oct. 1916

Hello,

I?m trying to find out where the 43rd Manitoba Battalion was in October 1916. After searching half the night on the net, I found out they were probably on the Somme and that all members of the CEF with no known grave are remembered on the Vimy Memorial, no matter where they were killed/reported missing.

The actual soldier I?m looking for in the 43rd is 159286 Desmond Robert Ashe (killed 8.10.16), I have his attestation paper and a print out of the roll of honour but would like to know where he was killed (whereabouts of the 43rd in Oct. 1916), so if anyone can help me, please do.

Thanks

Tony

The 43rd Battalion of the CEF was not known as the 43rd Manitoba Battalion, but was the 43rd (Cameron Highlanders) Battalion, which was raised at Winnipeg, Manitoba and which was also the mobilization headquarters under the authority of G.O. 86 July 1st, 1915. The Battalion served in France and Belgium (Flanders) with the 9th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division from 1916 all the way through till the Armistice. From October 1st through 18th, 1916, they were engaged in the Battle of Le Transloy, which was the last British offensive in the Battle of the Somme - bloody awful conditions!

For more information, see: http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-...nadian_Division

Thanks RJ.

I did find quite a bit on the Cameron Highlanders but didn't think there'd be a connection especially as the soldier in question was from Ireland. I've driven through Le Transloy so many times, the next time I'm in the area I'll stop and take a look around.

Thanks again

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Tony,

The 43rd Inf Bn was in bivouac at BRICKFIELDS CAMP, ALBERT on the 7th October 1916.

The Bn left bivouacs at 2.00 p.m on the 7th to relieve a portion of the 32nd Bn in the trenches between WEST MIRAMOUNT ROAD & EAST MIRAMOUNT ROAD.

The Bn assaulted REGINA TRENCH at 4:50 a.m. on the 8th (unsuccessfully-they could not get through the German barbed wire and fell back to their jumping-off points). Total O.R casualties 7-8 Oct were 10 killed, 240 wounded and 120 missing.

They were back in bivouac at TARA HILL near ALBERT 11:00 pm 9th October.

Here are the relevant War Diary pages:

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e045/e001110431.jpg

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e045/e001110432.jpg

Edited by Ken MacLean

Thanks Ken!

I'll have to dig my trench maps out and try to find the spot. The attack also gets a mention (Regina Trench, 8th Oct.) in The German Army on the Somme, on pages 319 & 320 but I haven't got that far yet, I checked what was happening in October.

Tony