News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A photo with much "bling bling" (solved: Prof. Dr. Vinzenz Czerny)

Here's another photo I was able to purchase recently. It shows a man, for sure not a soldier but a civil service man, with some nice orders and decorations. The combination seems quite strange to me, and I'd appreciate any help.

He's wearing:

- Baden, Berthold order, commander's cross 1st class;

- Baden, Order of the Zähringer Lion, commander's cross 1st class;

- Montenegro, Order of Danilo, commander's cross 1st class;

- Ottoman Empire; Medjidje order, commander's badge.

He's as well wearing a sash with badge, but no star belonging to it. As the armrest covers it, I cannot recognize it. :(

His 4 place medal bar contains:

- Prussia, Crown Order 4th class with Geneve Cross;

- (might be a Bavarian merit cross 1870/71)

- Prussia, Kriegsdenkmünze in Stahl für 1870/71, on ribbon for noncombattants

- (something from Italy ?!)

:speechless:

The picture should be taken about 1896/97, as he's yet wearing a Berthold order (founded September 1896) and not yet a Centenarmedaille (march 1897) which he would have gotten as a 1870s person - or it's later and he just didn't want to wear it. :ninja:

post-1172-1173541813.jpg

Edited by saschaw

The last piece on his bar is the French medal of the Societe Francaise de Secours aux Blesses Miitaires for the 18790-1871 war.

Hallo JBFloyd :cheers:

I believe the second last could be the non-combatant version of the Prussian 1870 - 1871 medal, I have come across evidence of this medal being awarded to an English woman for Red Cross services in France during the 1870-71 conflict.

LOUISA ELISABETH McLAUGHLIN (1836-1921),

Perhaps the gentleman in this thread is an official with the Red Cross?. :unsure:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Ulsterman said:
    Is it Durant?

Pardon, but who's Durant?! I've no idea (yet) who this might be ...

JBFloyd said:
    The last piece on his bar is the French medal of the Societe Francaise de Secours aux Blesses Miitaires for the 18790-1871 war.

A 1870 French(!!!) on a German Breast?! Sounds rather strange. Would someone have a picture of it?

I still think it might be Italian, as I've never seen such a shape before but on anything Italian. It's at least nothing German, I'd guess.

Edited by saschaw

Pardon, but who's Durant?! I've no idea (yet) who this might be ...

A 1870 French(!!!) on a German Breast?! Sounds rather strange. Would someone have a picture of it?

I still think it might be Italian, as I've never seen such a shape before but on anything Italian. It's at least nothing German, I'd guess.

Hallo saschaw :cheers:

It is the French medal as the faint outline of the Red Cross can be seen on the ribbon, it also remains to be seen if the gentleman is actualy German.

The British Lady is wearing the same French Decoration, as well as the Prussian Non-Combatant Medal for 1870-71 and the State of Hessen-Darmstadt Milit?r-Sanit?ts-Kreuz 1870/71.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Ah, you meant Dunant? Don't think it to be him. I don't know, but guess that he, the founder of the Red Cross, wore "some" more medals, e.g. he was awarded a French Legion of Honnour in 1865 by Napoleon III.

• 2 years later...

Up again - I found him by coincidence. He's still in the 1913 Hof- und Staatshandbuch für das Großherzogtum Baden:

Dr. Vinzenz Czerny, Wirklicher Geheimer Rat, Exzellenz, ordentlicher Professor a.D., Direktor des Krebsinstituts und Samariterhauses.

In the meantime, my photo pre-dates 1897, he upgradet his BZ2a to BZ1 and added BFL, KO2, a Serbian St. Sava order plus the usual stuff to get: Prussian 1897 and Baden 1902 medals.

I still have no idea what's behind the armrest... it is nothing of the mentioned.

:speechless:

post-1172-126668669529.jpg

Edited by saschaw

• 1 year later...

Until now, I did not realize he's been awarded a TM1 accoring the entries.

I don't think a TM1 is worn on the neck, so the order on the sash, behind the armrest may be the TM1 - with an additional TM3 worn on the neck?!

That's odd! But odder were he's wearing a "big" order unmentioned anywhere. Found him by coincidence, where I had never looked up: Prussian rank list! He was an actual civilian, but "Generalarzt à la suite des Sanitätscorps" and thus mentioned (1909 vol., p. 40).

Edited by saschaw

Until now, I did not realize he's been awarded a TM1 accoring the entries.

I don't think a TM1 is worn on the neck, so the order on the sash, behind the armrest may be the TM1 - with an additional TM3 worn on the neck?!

That's odd! But odder were he's wearing a "big" order unmentioned anywhere. Found him by coincidence, where I had never looked up: Prussian rank list! He was an actual civilian, but "Generalarzt à la suite des Sanitätscorps" and thus mentioned (1909 vol., p. 40).

Yes, TM1 (Turkish Mejidie Order, 1st Class) is a sash, badge, and I'm pretty certain that's what he is wearing.

Tim

Sash badge suspension device seems to lack a Medjidie style star/crescent. It does not appear to be a Medjidie star affixed to a sash either. Odd he's not wearing his TM1 star. Detail visible on French ribbon suggests that Sash may lack [Medjidie] side stripe and is only one color. Perhaps it's a judge's or participant's sash from some exposition? If the suspension is a 5 or 6 point starburst---maybe it's a Persian Sun & Lion?

• saschaw changed the title to A photo with much "bling bling"
    • saschaw changed the title to A photo with much "bling bling" (solved: Prof. Dr. Vinzenz Czerny)