News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

27e Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

Bear

Hello,

I just received a shako plate from a fellow member Ken(Ausnapoleon) and thought I'd show it off.

27e Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

Battles

1793 - Weissenburg

1794 - Fleurus and Breda

1799 - Mannheim, Bruchsai, Veisembach and Erbach

1800 - Brandenbourg, Hohenlinden, Neumakt and Lambech

1805 - guntzbourg, Elchingen, Ulm and Scharnitz

1806 - Jena and Soldau

1807 - Walterdorf, Eylau, Guttstadt and Friedland

1808 - Tudela

1809 - Ebersberg, Essling and Wagram

1810 - Siege of Cuidad-Rodrigo, Coa, Almeida and Bussaco

1811 - Redhina, Fos-de-Arona and Fuentes-d'Onoro

1812 - Salamanca

1813 - Lutzen, Dresden and Kulm

1814 - Orthez and Toulouse

1815 - Waterloo

More Info Here

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/or...frenchinf3.html

• 3 months later...

I believe most of these were stamped not cast. In the 70s when I visited Waterloo I bought a repro cast plate of the 27th just like yours. If yours is cast you might want to get it checked out with someone who really knows these kinds of plates.

I don't recall anymore, it was 30 years ago but it was cast and it was the 27th. They sold them at the gift shop behind the Lion monument. However, I have owned some original French Napoleonic plates over the years including battlefield excavated ones and they were all thin sheet brass stampings. Yours looks like a heavy casting from what I can see in the scan although I could be wrong. The headgear of the time was surprising light weight due to the fact that soldiers had to wear it all the time, which is why ornaments were generally thin stampings. A British Grenadiers cap of the warrant of 1768 only weighs about 1.4 lbs total.

You should show the pictures of yours front and back to some experienced collectors of this material for verification.

Edited by vonrall

I think from the vies from the back by the "27" it looks like a stamping in thin metal....

Looks pretty granular on the back like sand casting. The owner should be able to tell just by handling it if it's a casting or a stamping.

• 3 weeks later...