News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trenches: A picture worth a thousand words....

1 hour ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Thats a nice one... a Garden Trench!!!

Thanks Chris

Most of my pics are similar - of just a few familiar styles. This is one of the ones that stands out for me.

Glad you like it too.....

tony

Hi,

nice pic! Text: Communication trench to farmhouse. What does the cut off text say? Seems to be an offical news photo or the like from what I can make out.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

nice pic! Text: Communication trench to farmhouse. What does the cut off text say? Seems to be an offical news photo or the like from what I can make out.

GreyC

Hi GreyC

thanks for yet another translation!

the photo is another of the 'jennings' larger photo prints we've pondered over before.....

tony

Hello! Impressing photos!!!!

I have two photos (one took from a boat to the sight of Villerville / Le Havre, the other taken form a trench)

Scherenfernrohr, Villerville Le Havre  (2).JPG

Scherenfernrohr.JPG

without words...

("We broke through the german lines and took 30.000 prisoners and 80 guns")

Schild der Franzosen.JPG

and one from the eastern front... (it´s just a sign of a primary school in Wonjuw(?)

Ldw.Inf.Rgt. 101 (kyrillisches Schild. Wojnuwer Gemeinde allgemeine Grundschule der 1. Klasse).JPG

Edited by The Prussian

• 4 months later...

The German Spring Offensive - Operation Michael had been running the past eight days with much success, by 29/3/18 overrunning the allied fronts and taking bounty - storage camps, munition trains and POWs. However it did knock their morale realizing how well the allied soldiers were fed against their poor, meagre rations. Here's a press photos showing German troops inspecting captured English lines between Bullecourt - Croisilles.

Gross 1.jpg

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi IrishGunner,

that would make sense for sure....

I didn’t find a translation for that on the site I use...

Would you mind translating for me please?

i did notice the area looked ‘undusturbed’ however and the trees are in one piece!

also is a reserve battalion...

tony

34 minutes ago, Farkas said:

Would you mind translating for me please?

Tony,

"Schützengraben d. Ers. Bat. Landw. Inf. Regt. 71, Arnstadt, Thür. 1916"

Trench of the Ersatz Battalion, Landwehr Infantry Regiment 71, Arnstadt, Thüringen 1916

A bit of Google research reveals: In 1916, Landwehr Inf. Rgt. 71 was part of 13th Landwehr Division; according to my info, that division was in static defensive positions in Lothringen (or the French Lorraine).  Arnstadt, Thüringen is just south of Erfurt in eastern Germany.  And since Ersatz Battalions were replacement battalions, this was certainly a training scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents

these three aren’t in the best condition and the one I really want to show was never clear in the first place.

They came together with others and I believe most likely are related. The style they wear their feldmutze being more beret than ‘pork pie’ in two of them.

it is the third though, in particular, that I’ve been looking at (with trusty eyeglass) and may be interesting....

So here they are:

5DBF2082-C2E5-486A-A302-199F87F28C07.thumb.jpeg.6f46ce3185478c14ed3a40a5a6ddef3e.jpeg

85C814DD-F452-4D2F-B474-22B6CC14CB30.thumb.jpeg.e25dbee13fdd57937f6b8e3bae777de6.jpeg

09E94101-D89E-468D-B4BE-61B5A9C9FBCF.thumb.jpeg.77829b30e3b5aedec81ec1c6ca9903de.jpeg

The man second from left appears to have a fusiliers beret on.

8F769471-0765-4FB7-8DC1-B4BA6DE4A647.thumb.jpeg.75b38d5d66c383703a50106b6b806ac4.jpeg

Certainly there is an attached badge however the ‘plume’ could be a mark on the photo. With this in mind...I thought maybe the next man has a Scottish cap on?

And then putting the two potential oddities together I started wondering if :

maybe some on the back row are British?

maybe they are German but wearing trophy headwear?

Or... maybe none of the above!!

whatever I think these guys were worth sharing.... 

4F2D1182-4122-4722-BFAC-60811BC3C0AE.thumb.jpeg.a2b1dffc5950b75a8ad5c76bfa385931.jpeg

hope you like them too gents.

tony

Of course!

it should have occurred to me the ‘badge’ was also a stain.

i do tend to post these late at night after a couple of drinks - that’s my excuse.....

thanks Bayern

tony

14 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello tony, too poor the quality of the photo. so perhaps the man is a german wearing a battered feldmutze and the badge and the hackle ara stains 

Tony/Bayern, as you both state the photos are not the clearest.  However, there are many photos of both sides with captured POWs.  I am not familiar with British headgear to say either way, but it is very possible that this is a photo of German soldiers with British POWs.