News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trenches: A picture worth a thousand words....

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. It's very hard to find photos during attack.I may have one or two in my collection but here in France it's difficult to find Imperial German photos. I have some more photos to post this evening.

Regards

Christophe

Nice photos Christophe. You can almost always tell when a photo is taken in the forward trenches, because the gas masks are usually present. Only one of your photos shows a gasmask (the smallest photo). Not too many cameras were taken into the hot zones. You might have to leave it behind in a rush and who had time for picture taking there anyway?

Chip

Joel, these are great...I too love collecting photos as of late, just mine are WWII Luftwaffe Wedding photos because I love that they show the happiness in the time of hurt and pain. These photos are wonderful, if only to know what they were thinking and had seen. All the best, Jon

• 2 weeks later...

From the looks of it - some photograpehr wanted to document the survival of the gun crew after such a 'mishap'. I think they are still amazed to have made it this far. Date on the reverse is May of 1918...

Long time ago I got a collection of postcards all titled Brest-Lovosk 1915/1916. This photo appears to be of the same MG company. But this one is the only one - truly at the front. No designation as to where this actualy is though?

Hunyadi and wdmosher,

Thank you for your additions to this thread. Superb pictures Gentlemen!

Hunyadi, I agree with you 100% on picture number 70. Death und Carnage are certainly no strangers to those men seeminging placed right in the thick of it. Absolutely a fantastic picture.

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

• 2 weeks later...