News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trenches: A picture worth a thousand words....

My contribution. You rarely seem to find a photo of a chaplain in the trench (so to speak). I was able to grab this photo last month off of German Ebay. It is named to a Catholic (by the cross) Divisionpfarrer Dr Eller (Gller or Eller I cant tell) No date or unit number yet, but I have not checked my records.

Edited by Chris Liontas

• 1 year later...

Gents,

Let's give this thread a little life shall we? I've got a few trench pictures that have just reached my mailbox in which I'll add later today. In the meantime, if there is anyone who has a picture or two they'd like to add, please post away!

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

I really like this one. Can you guess why? It has nothing to do with the uniforms or the early gas masks. It's the trench. It's a special one.

Edited by Chip

Joel,

Those are actually See Bataillon troops (Marines) and a Matrosen (sailor) infantry man. The interesting thing is the location.

Edited by Chip

Guest Rick Research

Location? What location? I don' see no location! :cheeky:

But are they not wearing the VERY first "hankies pressed over your face" anti-gas equipment up on their left collarbones?

OK, I thought someone would pick up on the fact that this trench is occupied by marines and sailor and therefore have a guess as to where it is. Here is the full card. Now, what do you think?

• 3 months later...

Gents,

I'm happy to report that after a bit of a long overdue hiatus from trench picture purchasing, that this little postcard has just flown in and happy to give you all a "look-see." Though a little fuzzy with it being an "action shot", I think this one could have a few stories to tell.

I was tryting to find the original thread I had started in regards to posting German Trench photos and I believe it to have been removed.. :unsure:

Regards,

Joel

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share this postcard with you as it shows one of those unplanned moments that always happens when you are on camera.

The first image is of the postcard itself. I purchased it to go with my communicatiions collection even though when I bought it I was sure the wiring party was going out to string barbed wire and not communications wire. When it arrived on the back is printed,

"Every British trench is its own post office, with telephone and telegraph wires. A wiring Party is here going forward to its special work."

So this is indeed a communications related photo.

Regards

Brian

Here is that moment I was speaking about.

The soldier in the front of the column has just had the rifle sling slip off his shoulder and the fellow to his left seems to find this rather funny. What struck me as funny is that just at the very moment when a photo that would become an official photograph in the Daily Mail, and probably seen by thousands, was taken the rifle slipped from his shoulder. Sorry no "do-overs" guys! :whistle:

Cheers

Brian

The man with the screw pickets & the slippery rifle - is that an additional foreign bayonet he has dangling by the entrenching tool? And is that a water bottle on his right hip? One of those double spouted French - type ones?

Upon closer examination the bayonet looks like one of the German "Butcher" Bayonets; also the scabbard is too wide to be the standard British WWI issue. The water bottle on his right hip looks different from the standard British issue as well. Good eye Leigh.

Regads

Brian

• 2 years later...