News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Police and Prison officers In Iraq

The Police teams worked under the CPA and then transfered to the FCO, The prison teams were embeded with the military under a FRAGO in 2004 , but in late 2005 came under the FCO, all should get the Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal, 4 HM Prison Officers have been en given the Op Telic (Iraq Medal).

Edited by dante

Police were based in Az Zubair Police achadamy, Basra Palace, Camp Abu Naji, Nasiriyah, and As Samwah, the Prison staff were based in Basra Palace (on the Military side), Camp Abu Naji, Nasiriyah and shared the police training facility at Az Zubair (spelling as per ID card). No met police to my knowledge served in Iraq

I believe that apart from the 4 prison staff only one policeman will be entitled to both the IRSM and Telic medals along with 2x DfID staff who were TA and have previously served in Iraq, The initial prison team have just completed a tour in Afganistan

Edited by dante

British police foreign mission insignia's come a long way since the 1990's use of little nylon union flags (the ones from Scout shops, 15p a throw).

Is the UK police role n Iraq purely a training one, or do they have advisor & monitoring roles, executive powers?

British police foreign mission insignia's come a long way since the 1990's use of little nylon union flags (the ones from Scout shops, 15p a throw).

Is the UK police role n Iraq purely a training one, or do they have advisor & monitoring roles, executive powers?

The aim was (Police and Prison) Training, advising (mentoring) & monitoring sadly not enough were on the ground, in all a very effective bunch of lads and lasses who put themselves out.

• 2 months later...

Couple of Badges worn by UK Police and Prisons staff in Iraq

I've been trying to get a UK Police Patch for ages, but they are like rocking horse teeth!

I was however lucky enough to be given a IP - Iraqi Police one from a friend who was on patrol out there when the conflict started.