News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thomas BEASLEY

Guest Johnno

Hello all

I've just joined the list.

I've managed to obtain my great-great grandfather's Met service record and I'm hoping somebody can help me work out a few things.

Name: Thomas Henry Beasley.

Born: Maidenhead, Berks

Retired: May 9, 1882, aged 48

Here is his record:

Joined Met Police at Scotland Yard 2 March 1857

Constable in V Div 2 March 1857 to 15 September 1860

At Devonport 16 September 1860 to 1 August 1861

To Woolwich 2 August 1861 to 1 June 1864

To PS?? Div 2 JUne 1864 to 1 May 1866

To Inspector 2 May 1866 to 4 August 1866

To Portsmouth 5 August 1866 to 1 August 1868

to A Div 2 August 1868 to 28 July 1881

To Y Div (Highgate) 29 July 1881 to present

I know for certain that he was an inspector based at the Palace of Westiminster, so that explains A Div 2. But I would be grateful if someone could explain where V Div 2 is or was.

The hard-to-read PS (or could it be a U?) Div 2 puzzles me. Could this denote a Public Service promotion upon reaching the rank of inspector?

It's interesting that three of Thomas's postings were in places with large military/naval establishments. Would I be right in thinking that police were assigned to these bases?

Any other thoughts/comments would be very welcome!

Many thanks

John Piggott in Sydney

Hi John.

I've got a few police bits in my collection.

'V' Divn was Wandsworth (south london).

2nd Divn was Portsmouth Dockyard. In those days the Met had the duty of policing Ports of ; Woolwich-1st divn.

Portsmouth - 2nd divn

Devonport - 3rd divn

Chatham - 4th divn

Pembroke - 5th divn

Rosythe - 6th divn

So it looks like he's spent a bit of time on the docks...

Can you post any pics of the engraving?

regards,

John

Guest Johnno

Hi John - many thanks for the information.

No wonder Thomas retired on the grounds of rheumatism. It must have been an occupational hazard patrolling the docks in the cold night air.

I'm a complete novice at British policing, so I have a few questions that I hope you or the others might be able to answer.

1) Thomas retired in 1882, aged 48, after approx. 25 years' service. Was this the norm? Or could he have stayed on?

2) His pension was ?108 6s 8d p.a. Would this have been a liveable income for people back then? (I don't know what the average wage was at the time.)

3) He was 5'11". I imagine this was fairly tall in the late 1800s. Am I right? What were the physical requirements to join the force c.1857?

4) I'm keen to learn as much as I can about the life and work of the police back then. Can anyone recommend some good books?

Perhaps a few too many questions in one hit, but I'm simply trying to flesh out a picture of the man beyond the bare bones of his service record.

Cheers,

John Piggott

PS: Sorry, John, I'm not familiar with the term "engraving". Kindly fill this ignoramus in!