News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Iron Cross....

It is such a wide, wide, wide field.... but just how wide are we spread out on it?

I collect mainly Iron Cross award docs, but I have some crosses... and iron cross postcards... and a few period bookmarks with EKs, and a wallet with an EK design... and a plate...

how do YOU approach the EK collecting hobby? "If it don't have silver rims... I don't touch it"?.. "Only the postcards" ?

If you limit yourself... why? (other than cost factor which we can all understand)

I always think of the EK as a theme where you need to do a bit of everything to win the big prize when you die.... wont make it to heaven if you only have the crosses kinda deal....

How do you guys see it?

For the guys who stay away from ephemera... is it because of the lack of literature to give rough guidelines?

Interesting question. Went for some of the basics first. Still have no 1813 crosses but am patient. Don't have an 1870 EK1 either...but in no hurry. I am quite hooked on 1914 EK1 variants and admit to being unable to resist a good-looking common 1914 EK1 even if I already have an example. Won't pass on a cross if it is made of ersatz materials. I like mint Imperial Iron Crosses but, conversely, I go for "been-there" 1939 EK1 and lightly patinated 1939 EK2, especially with narrow ribbons. Couple of RK. Again, they have that "been-there" look. Can take or leave 1939 Spangen but partial to original ribbon bar Spangen and also to Type 1s.

As far as award documents go, I focus on Fallschirmj?ger-related docs, of course, but will go for anything out of the ordinary that grabs my attention. There is a pair of Kanalflieger documents - with the rest of the ME109 NCO pilot's documents - which I have been after for ages, even though they're way out of my "themes". They're just absolute classics and I really flashed on them! Maybe it's the result of seeing the BoB film as a nine year old. Since you started posting WW1 EK documents, my interest in those is awakening.

I also like well-made lapel pins and boutonni?res. my nicest being, respectively, an ELS pin and a miniature 1914 Civilian EK2. Wouldn't touch ELS and EK by Godet unless the provenance were surrealistically solid but would certainly go for an L/13 Meybauer ELS. 1957 stuff leaves me cold unless obviously worn by a veteran. One of my favourite pieces is an early '57 EK2 with its ring pushed through the wartime ring of an EK2 with the wartime ribbon mounted as worn. Quite a touching piece. I suppose that's the essence for me: the item has to "talk".

Another thing I've been after for ages is a 1914 EK1 in the possession of a friend. It's in a Queen Mary box with the officer's Hesse breast award and his 1930s medal bar with the EK2, Hesse Silver Merit Medal and Hindenburg Cross, plus the ribbon bar. The EK1 is a top notch vaulted piece, privately engraved to the recipient, Kompaniechef in a stormtroop unit, for an action at Thiepval in the first week of the Somme offensive. Probably a present from his brother officers or his men. I don't care how long it takes me to get it and how much it costs me - within reason - but a Thiepval EK1 to a stormtroop officer? OK, it's not the document, which is the award in German tradition, but as Iron Crosses go, this is one of the best I have seen.

PK

Edited by PKeating

If it's got a Prussian EK on it I'll take it. Postcards, cups, saucers, pipes, wallets, books, maybe even underwear :cool: . I've got a handful of docs but any more I defer to Chris since he can do more with them. I prefer the "been there" look, but the underwear's gotta be clean :cheeky:

Maybe PK and I should compare collections :cheers: as we have similar tastes.

My faverite group of EKs is 1914 EK1s. especialy screwbacks but I love them all.

I also like 1870s but I work on a tight budget so I only have a couple. I have only

2 or 3 '39s and would care to add more but only if the right one were to come along.

I have no real interest at all in '57s. I also love Imperial minis. Buttonholes and frack

chains. I would actually rather have the miniature of some of the awards then the

fullsized version. I do not care too much for award documents but I do like original

sales catalogs from awards mfgs. I have a 1934 Godet, a 1939 S-L, and a 1895-1913?

Paul Kust.

I would like to get a near mint '39 that still has the frosting on it and some day maybe

an RK but I would much rather have a 1870 EK1 or a 1813 EK1 than a 1939 RK.

Interesting thread,Chris

Greg

Edited by gregM

My true passion is colllecting Imperial EK2's. The more patina and character the cross exhibits, the more apt I am to add it to my collection. I have conducted a few trades and purchases over the last couple of years and have obtained a few TR EK2's. In my humble opinion though, If I had to pick one over the other, the Imperial Crosses are more beautiful and provide that element of intrigue and mystery for me.

Regards,

Joel

i love them all!!

but prudence/expense/availabilty dictates some semblance

of collecting focus....

i have now 87 different MM variations - this does NOT mean

87 different manufacturers - and have a wonderful time at

shows just sitting with my magnifier. these '14 ek 2's are

REALLY diverse in their presentation: the good, the bad,

and the ugly....

i enjoy the ek 2 on medal bars. here's another area where

Imperial craft and ingenuity shine. there is little that is more

eye-catching, impressive, or entertaining than a well

constructed medal bar.

wish you could have seen some of the pieces andreas had

at his table at SOS. perhaps a picture???

and the postcards...

and mostly the idea that for the last six or seven years, there

is always the "gee, i never had any idea that existed...".

and i suspect that will continue to be the case.

have to go to work...

joe

have to go to work...

joe

Oh PULeeeeeeese!!!

For most of us we work at a job we may not like, and militaria is the way we brighten up our lives.... Joe has the dream job and militaria is just the stuff he plays with to pass the hours until he can get back to work :rolleyes:

Joe has a soft spot in my heart reserved for him because he gave me first shot at his award docs when he culled the collection. A big E-Kiss for him :cheers:

CB-

please keep in mind that for every sophia loren

there are 100 rosie o'donnells....

and part of the deal with this forum is that you meet

people who... well... know what they're talking about.

those docs BELONG in your mitts...

joel:

you are ,IMHO, quite correct.

while i have a moderate number of '39

EK's, and i would not trade them or sell them,

if i never procured another of them, i would

lose no sleep.

definately NOT the case with the Imperials.

and just to prove what an absolute hypocrite i am,

i just remembered that one of the last EK's i bought

was Chris W's three place medal bar with a "39

rounder 3....

nice thread.

joe

the postcards are, indeed, quite pleasing!

in relatively short order, i've been able

to find quite a number of variations, and still

have not started to see much in the way of

duplication.

not turrible expensive, interesting, attractive,

and almost 100 years old....

joe

in relatively short order, i've been able

to find quite a number of variations, and still

have not started to see much in the way of

duplication.

not turrible expensive, interesting, attractive,

and almost 100 years old....

joe

Are you talking about wimin again !!!!!!!!

You just cannot stop !!!!

Well, as I am very new to the hobby I am just happy when I get an EK of any type that doesn't get labelled FAKE after I show it. Having said that I have managed to pick up a few nice ones of both Imperial and TR era. Best of all though was my first 1870...an EKII by Godet. Now that's a nice looking cross. Keeping in mind that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I am sure all EK's are beautiful to their respective owners.

At this point I will focus on mm examples of the basics till I learn a little more. Then I plan to branch out but still within the uncased models of all era. Don't plan to go into cased models nor documentation, at least at this juncture.

Regards to all,

Stu

Well, as I am very new to the hobby I am just happy when I get an EK of any type that doesn't get labelled FAKE after I show it.

We have all been there.... its the starting block...... and the cross country track ahead is looooooong with great views along the way....

In fact... its a track that never ends!!!!

Hello Chris, thanks for the comments. Yes, I'm now out of the block and looking forward to the view. Someone else also mentioned about the view and the fact that the slower you go the more you see...in other words don't try to get a cross by every known maker by the end of the first week of collecting! Although I made all the typical rookie mistakes I was lucky, those first fakes taught me a lot and the dealer took them all back for full money refund. I think he was as unsure of himself as I was of myself then. His emphasis was on uniforms. Anyway, onward and upward.

Regards,

Stu

Stu,

Don't be discouraged! It doesn't take long to absorb the basics. And you have the right attitude as well. Which is why those of us who have been close to these things for years will always be happy to help. Not that we're all infallible! I learn something new every day. Did you post that Godet 1870 EK2 somewhere? I'd like to see it.

PK

Nope, not discouraged at all, just a little smarter now. As for the Godet...several members have viewed it "behind the scenes" as I no longer buy anything without getting it checked first by those more experienced than I am...but have not posted pic's as of yet. In fact I have not yet posted a pic on this site. Will try now and see what happens.

Stu

Had a little problem with the button but hopefully it's still readable. Will see if I can play with the resizer. What it says is Godet and Sohn, Berlin.

Stu

Edited by Stu W