News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BEER: Only Beer, No Wine, Distilled Spirits, Tea

Guest Rick Research

4th Company Bavarian Landwehr Infantry Regiment 12, 22 July 1915 in the Vosges:

Officers just want to have fun: Infantry Regiment 53, early summer 1915

Guest Rick Research

Someone has to MAKE it (shockingly high casualties in the Hops Fermentation Units!!!)

before anybody else can drink it. Party! Party! Party down at the wagoneers' depot!

Guest Rick Research

Beer before the war (after lights out in the barracks of Bavarian J?ger Battalion 1, 10 May 1910)

Beer after the war: an implausibly dually occupied local oompah band, 1919

Guest Rick Research

Cigarettes are OK if being consumed WITH beer! :shame:

Behind the barrackss of the Infantry Life Regiment in Munich, 9 February 1915: the origin of the now forgotten advice corollary: "...and do not DRINK yellow snow." :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Nice photographs, Rick. :beer:

German soldiers were not the only ones who appreciated a glass of beer. This pic came from a familyalbum of a Belgian WWI nurse. Hope these drinking Belgian soldiers match your thread.

Jef :beer:

• 6 years later...

4th Company Bavarian Landwehr Infantry Regiment 12, 22 July 1915 in the Vosges:

attachicon.gifBeer_bar...2_220715.jpg

Officers just want to have fun: Infantry Regiment 53, early summer 1915

attachicon.gifIR_53_of...ks_photo.jpg

Those two soldiers in front have two 'flippies" and we use to bring cases back from Grafenwohr. That was the only place that still sold them.

Those two soldiers in front have two 'flippies" and we use to bring cases back from Grafenwohr. That was the only place that still sold them.

Haven't heard "flippies" in a long time, G.I. :lol:

My favorite was always Flensburger from the north. A lot of small breweries still use the flip top bottle.

242431745_a22be0c8b0.jpg

Haven't heard "flippies" in a long time, G.I. :lol:

My favorite was always Flensburger from the north. A lot of small breweries still use the flip top bottle.

242431745_a22be0c8b0.jpg

Couldn't get them around Hanau, but we sure drank Graf dry and we carried more cases back that our trucks and tracks were more full going home than going to Graf. The guns went and returned by rail.

Hello,

here two pictures from my relative.

The champagne and cognac will probably ended up in the bellies of the officers.

Damn!!! You guys are bringing back memories. The picture on the left reminds me on the Sundry boxes we got occasionally filled with cigarettes, chocolate (we called them John Wayne bars) only John Wayne could eat them, writing material, toiletries; etc etc . I do believe the german soldier ate better than the other armies during the Great War, especially if you were on the Western Front.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, we had lots of beer in rusting cans, but the water supplied by the Engineers was slightly green and Kool-Aid killed the taste. But of course, I am referring to the R.V.N. Regards, Oiva