News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Arrival - 57 EK2

Hello

I've just received this 57 EK2. Magnetic core and three piece construction. The maker mark on the ring isn't legible, but close examination reveals this to be a Deumer made piece. Among other identifiers, is the classic Deumer die flaw on the upper arm of the cross.

As usual, any comments or observations welcomed.

Hello

Thanks for the comments Joe. Quality wise it will depend on whether you compare the really early 57 items against the 39 versions, or even the 1914 ones. Generally I'd venture to say that the quality, in the main, was better on the 1914 EKs than the 39 or 57, even the 57 pieces using left over wartime frames or the same WW2 dies that produced the 39's like this one. The photos don't really do this justice - 'in the hand' it looks pretty much as it's 1939 counterpart. I wonder if the difference in quality, (1914 against the 39 and 57's), has anything to do with the different metals used, e.g. real silver v neusilber ?

i am quite certain that the materials used, were, in general

of much higher quality in the '14's, and even the early '39's.

that's part of it.

i also prefer the more delicate, thinner arms of the '14.

nevertheless, this is a very fine example, and having

seen what a scanner or digital camera can do to the

"feeling" of a particular medal, this example stands out.

joe