News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Grandfathers Medals: WW1 J.H.Westley 66258,RFA/RA

There is something wrong here! The medal index card seems to indicate that he went to France on 16 August 1914 with 20th Brigade, RFA but 20th Brigade, RFA was in India at that time and came back to England and joined the 27th Division at Winchester on 19 November 1914. It went to France in December 1914, too late to qualify for the 1914 Star. I have looked at his Medal Index Card on Ancestry and at the highest magnification there appears to be an upward moving line on the left side of the zero that could well be forming a six rather than a zero, and thus I think he went to France with 26th Brigade, RFA in the 1st Division, rather than 20th Brigade in the 27th Division. Gunner 1

Edited by Gunner 1

These may be completely the wrong people - 1901 Census - is this him?

Name: James Westley

Estimated birth year: abt 1897

Relation: Son

Mother's Name: Martha M

Where born: Aldershot, Hampshire, England

Civil parish: Aldershot

Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael

Town: Aldershot

County/Island: Hampshire

Registration district: Farnham

Sub-registration district: Aldershot

Address No. 2 Redan(?) Gardens

Household Members: Name Age

Martha M Westley 34 (Widow)

Frederick T Westley 14

Stephen Westley 11

Arthur Westley 9

James Westley 4

No trades listed for the children.

Martha M Westley Head aged 34 born abt 1867 Female born Staffordshire England

Frederick T Westley Son 14 abt 1887 Male Aldershot Hampshire England

Add Update 5 Stephen Westley Son 11 abt 1890 Male Aldershot Hampshire England

Add Update 5 Arthur Westley Son 9 abt 1892 Male Aldershot Hampshire England

Add Update 5 James Westley Son 4 abt 1897 Male Aldershot Hampshire

Leigh,

this has to be the one.

I do have a great uncle Steve,(Black Watch}.

Also a great uncle Arthur,(RA).

From what i recall,Steve ended up as a high ranking officer in the Black Watch.

Great uncle Arthur,moved to Canada after WW1 and was an instructor at the Royal Canadian Military Academy,in Ottowa,i think.

Regards,Martin.

There is something wrong here! The medal index card seems to indicate that he went to France on 16 August 1914 with 20th Brigade, RFA but 20th Brigade, RFA was in India at that time and came back to England and joined the 27th Division at Winchester on 19 November 1914. It went to France in December 1914, too late to qualify for the 1914-15 Star. I have looked at his Medal Index Card on Ancestry and at the highest magnification there appears to be an upward moving line on the left side of the zero that could well be forming a six rather than a zero, and thus I think he went to France with 26th Brigade, RFA in the 1st Division, rather than 20th Brigade in the 27th Division. Gunner 1

Gunner,

you may well be correct here.All i know is that he was there.Sometime during the Mons conflict his horses head was taken off by an artillery shell.The horse collapsed,naturally,and grandads leg was broken in two places.

Regards,Martin.

There is something wrong here! The medal index card seems to indicate that he went to France on 16 August 1914 with 20th Brigade, RFA but 20th Brigade, RFA was in India at that time and came back to England and joined the 27th Division at Winchester on 19 November 1914. It went to France in December 1914, too late to qualify for the 1914-15 Star. I have looked at his Medal Index Card on Ancestry and at the highest magnification there appears to be an upward moving line on the left side of the zero that could well be forming a six rather than a zero, and thus I think he went to France with 26th Brigade, RFA in the 1st Division, rather than 20th Brigade in the 27th Division. Gunner 1

Well spotted. looks like there is a "tail" making the "0" a "6":

A very creditable ensemble indeed. He's a WO1 in the pre-war photo, not a WO2 - big difference. A Battery Serjeant Major (WOII) would not have worn a Sam Browne if I recall, whereas 'god' would have.

As pointed out he is a WOI in the photo i.e. "Regimental Sgt Major" as opposed to a WOII, but for a short period during the early 1920's I believe both WOI & WOII dressed in better quality service dress and also wore the Sam Browne, being only identified by their rank badges. This privilege was eventually withdraw for the WOII.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you all for your comments.Tony you are correct he did finish his career in the RA as a W.O.1.My mistake,i was going from the information engraved on the medal(MSM).He retired from the regulars in 1937-38.Dad told me in the years leading up to WWll they lived in Worcester as grandad was a gunnery instructor for the QOWH.

According to dad when WWll broke out grandad joined the home guard and was battery commander of a AA unit in the area of Woolwich.So i was wondering why the WWll Defence Medal is not added to the Bar?

Chris ,if you could point me in a direction to the "Mons-la Cateau"histories i would be more than happy to research.

Best regards,Martin.

I note this is an ancient post, but re. Defence Medal absence:

1 - Home Guard generally required 3 years' service (and only in active existence for 4 years)

2 - WW2 medals had to be applied for, so perhaps application was never made, through oversight or deliberate inaction (not everyone could be bothered or even wanted them). In which case, NOK can apply for it.

3 - Maybe it was received, but never mounted since he'd left the services and therefore missing.

2 - WW2 medals had to be applied for, so perhaps application was never made, through oversight or deliberate inaction (not everyone could be bothered or even wanted them). In which case, NOK can apply for it.

Edited by Martin W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was just wondering how many members have personal family medal groups and how many generations they go back. I am fortunate that we are a small family and I’m the only one with a interest in Militaria so I got the following medals:

The group is as follows:

Maternal great grandfather: R J Britz (named and with service record).

ABO medal

Maternal grandfather :R J Britz

WW2 Southern Rhodesia Service medal (unnamed)

Paternal grandfather: N D Kemp (all named with service record)

WW1 1914-15 Star

WW1 Victory Medal

WW1 British War Medal

WW2 Africa Service medal

WW2 War medal 39-45

Father B E Kemp (Sgt Maj Air Force 1982 - 1988) (named with service record)

Military Merito Medal

SADF General Service medal

SADF Good Service medal - silver

SADF Good Service medal - bronze

WW2 War medal 39-45

WW2 Africa Service medal

Son (me) N J Kemp (named with service record)

SADF General Service medal

SADF Good Service medal - bronze

Naval Cadet Corps Service medal - bronze

Neville

• 4 weeks later...