News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 ek 2/Hindenberg cross riibon bar

I know this is probably one of the most common ribbon bars in existance,but it was one of the 1st ones I ever bought.Just recently I got it out,and it doesn't look like all the ones I've been looking at lately.Anyone have any ideas on if it is period or not?

Thanks for any and all help,

Jim P

Hello Mossy

I never had any doubts about it til recently,seeing most of the ribbon bars with the felt backing I wondered if it fell off.But,it doesn't appear that it ever had any.I thought I would post it here and see what everyone else thought.I didn't pay much for it,but I hate repros unless I knew thats what it was when I bought it.

Regards, Jim P

Guest Rick Research

Yes, this is fine. The most common "stock" combinations were often woven in a single piece of ribbon-- it made the assembly work easier and left fewer edges to snag.

The back is what I call the "shark's teeth" type. It was a less common than usual 1930s-40s style (must have gouged many a finger putting these together, stretching the material tight and then bending the nasty jagged pointies!) that never used cloth backing.

The design flaws in this style is that all those nasty jagged teeth are rubbing against clothing, tend to get rusty, and the way the pin has to be placed on this kind is right smack dab in the way of attaching any sort of devices, so they were often pinned on between the back of the ribbon and the top of the metal bar backing-- and so often got pulled off. It was NOT a very GOOD style, but original to the period.

Here's one from Steinhauer & L?ck's January 1939 catalog, showing options and prices:

[attachmentid=6993]

Thanks for the reassurance guys.I can rest at ease now.

That is a very clear cut and useful reference you have there Rick.If only more catalogues like that were available for badges,daggers,and the like,it would make collectin these items a little more cut and dried.

Thanks again,

Jim P