News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAAF Museum Point Cook

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This particular Walrus was recovered recently and restored by the team at Point Cook, after it was wrecked in a 120 mph gale on Heard Island, it was serving with the Australian National Antarctic Research Establishment during 1948.....

• 3 weeks later...

I probably should call the Huey a UH-1B, but what the heck, here is an Aussie Avon Sabre....

Hi Bob,

Very nice pics. :jumping:

Here is the same Sabre, as displayed in the local antenna of the RAAF Museum during the Avalon Air Show (20-25 March 2007) in Melbourne. During the business days, it was quite quiet there; I think the public days have been more than hectic!!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Edited by Christophe

And the Dassault Mirage III A3-51, selected to replace the Avon Sabre as the RAAF's fighter aircraft in 1960. It was the 1st aircraft in RAAF service capable of flying at twice the speed of sound. It entered operational service in 1965, and served as the front-line fighter until 1988. This made of it the longest-serving fighter in RAAF history.

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Hi Christophe,

I couldn't make it to the Avalon air show this year, I hope you had a great time there!

I found this on the Sabre courtesy of the museum web page...

Bob

CAC CA-26 Avon Sabre A94-101

The Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) Avon Sabre was based on the design of the North American F86 Sabre, modified to meet local conditions and requirements. CAC won the contract to produce one prototype (A94-101) and 70 production aircraft in February 1951.

There were a number of modifications made to the Avon Sabre making it different from the North American Sabre. The following list of modifications made a huge improvement over the original Sabre:

• installation of the Rolls Royce Avon RA.7 turbojet engine, later replaced by the Rolls Royce Mk 26 Avon engine, giving substantially more power
    • increased diameter of the nose air intake to accommodate the larger engine
    • revised cockpit layout
    • heavier armament ? cannons instead of machine guns
    • increased fuel capacity
    • fitting of the Plessey isopropyl nitrate liquid fuel combustion starter, which allowed the aircraft to start without an external power source.
    changeslides("initial") P180-Sabre.jpg
    back.gif next.gif
    The aircraft on display (A94-101) is the first Australian-built Avon Sabre and first flew on 3 August 1953. During a test flight of this aircraft at Avalon Airfield on 21 August 1953, the pilot, Flight Lieutenant Bill Scott, took the aircraft to a height of 42 000 feet (12 800 metres), put it into a dive and at 36 000 feet (11 000 metres) exceeded the sound barrier (at an approximate speed of 1042 kilometres per hour), thus becoming the first aircraft in Australia to exceed the speed of sound.

After initial flying in the hands of the manufacturer, the aircraft was loaned to the RAAF's Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU) in April 1955 for testing. After returning to CAC, the aircraft was authorised for conversion to an instructional airframe in August 1957, and was received at Base Squadron Wagga in March 1958 for use by the RAAF School of Technical Training. By June 1977, the aircraft had been transferred to Point Cook on account of its historical significance, and was placed on display by the RAAF Museum.