News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Daniel, it was the campaign medals I meant, China and South West Africa in this case

Christer

Christer,

it will not be possible to list the campaign medals for China and Southwest Africa. The rolls are not complete, too much are missing, and it makes no sence to list 10.000 or 20.000 names. It is the same with the non-combatant medals.

The only way to find out who the owner was is to look at the war decorations.

The rolls for the colonial medal will be available in one or two years. I finished it already but I have my reasons to wait. It is nearly complete only a few, mostly navy, are missing.

Bernd

Guest Rick Research

Well folks, the FIRST boxload has arrived safe and sound in North America, so I will be able to BEGIN filling orders as boxes of sets arrive. 1st box is sold out, and so is the 2nd (before it even arrives). Most gratifying! :cheers:

I am VERY pleased with Daniel's covers color choice, and the worksmanship of the printer, Christian Beyer in Potsdam should allow for many years of the sort of hard daily use we research gnomes put these through. The pages easily open enough to be scanned, and thanks to the standardized format which Daniel devised, additions (and we ALL write in our books like these-- I certainly shall) will fit neatly into the still "blank" columns. Here is an actual image from a page of the Ernestines, showing layout and the neat little boxes just waiting for MORE :speechless1: information to be filled in as we approach the World War Centennial:

Those of you old (and lucky) enough to have actually obtained the Roth & Geile volumes from the 1990s will, I am sure, find the Krause System to be MUCH easier and more helpful to use. The HUGE amount of information we have added is not obvious from the very neat final result, but took endless revisions and far more time than transcription typing did.

I feel like a new daddy! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Just curious: would the orders of Baden,W?rttemberg, Bavaria and Anhalt be represented in full in the Staatshandb?cher of these countries? If so: with full dates or just years? This would be a great first start for a new roll I guess.

Edited by David M

Guest Rick Research

In the few C&Ss I have seen so far, the awards are just listed against the person's name, like they are in military Rank Lists.

Each one manages to use completely different symbols or abbreviations for the same awards, or different numbers for the same class-- all part of driving us crazzzzzzzy.

In the few C&Ss I have seen so far, the awards are just listed against the person's name, like they are in military Rank Lists.

Each one manages to use completely different symbols or abbreviations for the same awards, or different numbers for the same class-- all part of driving us crazzzzzzzy.

Would that even go for the domestic awards? I know at least Kurhessen and Hannover have their awards listed seperatly in their own C&S

Guest Rick Research

I have only seen 20th century Court & States, with my 1914-18 focus. Even in my stray 1859 Saxe-Weimnar Court and State, it simply lists glyphs representing the awards (minis of every medal :speechless1: in microscopic detail) next to their name.

You seem to be looking for ORDERS LISTS, which are a distinct thing separate from the annual lists of who was District Veterinarian or Superintendent of Protestant Girls' Orphanages.

Andreas posted some "Orders List" type names (no dates) from HESSE a while back and that was riddled with errors.

There are PRUSSIAN Orders Lists for Prussian awards up to January 1913, but I've never seen any.

The ONLY way to get COMPLETE lists of award recipients is from awards Rolls... if any survive like the ones we are all working from.

Hi Rick,

I know/have the prussian order lists from 1855 until 1913 and the Hessen-Darmstadt order lists from 1875 until 1914 - that is the best you can have, because the prussian and Hessen original rolls are destroyed. :violent::violent::violent:

Werner

Hi Werner

So the orders list from prussia is for every prussian order for every year stating both foreigners and prussians with full dates? (I know the hessians are not for every year)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks wild card, that's the kind of info we need in this thread!! good to hear the MVO and MVKs are covered!! :jumping:

Will make a summary of the info we have so far when I have time, which will probably not be today.

all the best

David

David, Please take note of my book list: Lippe detmold, sachsen, wurtemberg, bavaria?? ; if this is possible...for a begining. I?ll pay with Paypal (as you?ll to explain me).

Thanks for the hard work

PS/ Rudolstadt Sonderhausen???

Guest Rick Research

"David, Please take note of my book list: Lippe detmold, sachsen, wurtemberg, bavaria?? ; if this is possible...for a begining. I?ll pay with Paypal (as you?ll to explain me).

Thanks for the hard work."

Lippe-Detmold (and Schaumburg-Lippe) will be printed later this year. Saxony is being reworked, so I don't know when that will be available again (2009?). W?rttemberg: awards TO W?rttembergers of NON-W?rttemberg awards IS available. Bavaria is being worked on as its own independent project, so I cannot speak about when that will be available.

See the Books & CDs for Sale section of the Sales forum:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25114

You can order the five volumes that ARE available, in print, NOW, there from DANIEL. :beer::cat:

Right now, all swords awards from 1914-1918, all awards with the oak brooch from World War I, and all non-swords awards from 1909-1918. I expect to go back to Rudolstadt soon and get further rolls, but these are the priority now.

Is that all there is or are there earlier rolls too?

David

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I can announce that the L?H roll is complete => it is now towards the other gnomes for inspection, etc ....

So, be patient my friends and one day you will see a book come out on it :jumping:

Cordial greetings,

ps: i would like to transcribe the Bremen roll => so if any of you guys have, feel free to contact me :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

The roll story is never ending for sure => i just wanted to say that the following roll's are also being transcribed for the future and future research:

* Belgian orders rendered towards Germans

From these the following orders can and will be done:

1) Order of Leopold

2) Order of the Crown

3) Order of Leopold II

4) Order of Lion

5) Order of the African star

I am already working on both 2 and 3, the others are future projects :rolleyes:

So not exactly a German order ths being listed, but a listing of a certain foreign order towards Germans :speechless::cheers:

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

There is certainly quite a few superb info still to be listed, here are the awards i have listed so far (100 % complete up towards a few weeks before WWI roke out) and now needs to be corrected:

* Order of the crown

- Great crosses : 30

- Great officers : 13

- Commanders: 52

- Officers: 88

- Knights: 118

- Gold palms : 4

- Silver palms : 1

- Gold medals : 4

- Silver medals : 4

- Bronze medals : 1

* Order of Leopold II

- Great Crosses : 16

- Great officers : 15

- Commanders : 39

- Officers : 68

- knights : 51

- Gold medals : 63

- Silver medals : 51

- Bronze medals : 8

The order i will work (list i up) on now is the Belgian Leopoldorder (rendered towards Germans) => so quite a bit of work for sure

And offocarse in time a book on each order will be published with all the info on the recipients, etc... etc....

Cordial greetings :cheers:

Edited by Stijn David

Hi Timmo,

Sad to say, but no chance at this point of time => the rolls i will be able to do are only about Belgian orders, not from decorations such as the Military decoration, etc.....

Iff the rolls would turn up, yes the chance would exist. But that is dreaming with the eyes open for this time as it is not even sure they do still exist :rolleyes:

Cordial greetings

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

It's a MIRACLE !!!!! :Cat-Scratch:

Beyond all hope!

Beyond all wildest dreams!

Beyond any sane expectation! --

The COMPLETE LEGIBLE rolls of ALL types of 1914-1918 (to 1926, actually) Mecklenburg-Strelitz Crosses for Distinction in War have arrived for transcription and Gnome-ification today!!! :jumping:

They are a bit oddly arranged, with more than one roll numbered from 1 each time, so right this minute I can't (and wouldn't until it is published, anyway :ninja: ) say how many 2nd Classes there were, but everything is in here-- the different mottoes, the red ribbons, and awards to women. :rolleyes:

About half (to mid-war) have no award dates, but it looks like most have both names, and ALL have units or civilian jobs/residences. From about December 1915 on they seem to include award dates. Before that they simply are in roll number order, with notations as to which "Bekanntmachung" they were published in, en masse.

These are NOT what Neal O'Connor had to work from-- the random scraps of a senile, drunken, illiterate, geriatric lunatic down in the dungeons of the Schloss, scribbling away. These are GOOD rolls! :jumping:

And a very interesting tale of where and when and how they came to be saved... but that's for when things are DONE. Here I will just say one giant THANK YOU to the person who got these in the flotsam and jetsam of the Reunification process! :cheers:

Yehhhhaaaaiiiiiiii!!!!!!! :jumping:

And once more word of advice? :unsure: Buy them n-o-w.