News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Luftwaffe Corps of Engineers

Bill,

You must have the most definitive collection of Engineer artifacts I have ever seen.

Did the H?drich documents come from one grouping? How did he get so much exposure to so many high level leaders? Do you have a listing of all of his wartime awards? Did he stay with the Engineer Corps until the end or did he opt to join the Regular Luftwaffe when the opportunity arose?

Paul

All of the H?drich collection came as a set with the exception of the Ausweis. Another facinating part of the collection are his Flugbuchs. There are 4 of them that cover ever flight he was involved in from Nov. 1934 thru Jan. 1945. I have his University grade sheet from 1930. None of the docs list his awards. Only two ribbons are visible in his portrait.

I am anxious to see other collectors post their items. I know I do not own all of it!

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to post your magnificent collection!! You are the "go to" man in regard to the Luftwaffe Engineer Corps!!

There has to be more out there!! Remember... anything goes. Uniforms, Documents, histories... anything related to the Engineer Corps!!

Regards

Paul

Here is an item I have not seen before. I believe most of this type of documents would have been destroyed. It is a document from the Luftwaffe testing center at Travem?nde that discusses the redesign of the propellor blade on the AR196 seaplane.

Bill

ar196p1.jpg

ar196p2.jpg

ar196p3.jpg

Ask and you shall receive!

(Translation provided by Rosenberg)

Commander of the Aerialgroup Sea

REPORT Report-Slip:2 Nr.

of: Engineer Name: Kairies

on: Business trip from 06/04 till 07/04 1940 at Testing-Unit Travem?nde

Purpose:Talks on the presentation of the inflexible propeller used on

airplane AR.196

Participants: Engineers Gehl and Schippers (Testing-Unit)

Engineer Kairies (Aerial Seagroup)

Kiel,07/08

The starting difficulties with planes of the AR.196-Type,which have to take-off from water,were reason for this talks.These difficulties are to be solved easily with shiftable propellers.The testing period with performance flights has ended and a report will be given to the RLM. Upgrading to shiftable propellers is scheduled at this time for only 10 planes,according to Eng. Schippers? report.These are planes that are not used on warships.The report is to be changed to scheduling replacements on all type AR.196/2 planes.

Following a report of Fl.Gr.906,the Testing-Unit wanted a sufficent number of propellers ready to be delievered any time.Eng. Schippers said the Testing-Unit wouldn?t know about such a delivery and requested info on who gave this statement.Also unknown is a memo of the Aerialgroup,which announced delivery of 30 shiftable-propellers for the AR.196 to be due to June.Should the delivery come true, a replacement-order will follow instantly.The necessary replacement parts can be self-made easily within the units performing the replacements.Documentation on the replacement is already made(Replacement AR.196/1 on third-party property of the shiftable-propeller).

Due to the current situation is ,according to the given report,the inflexible propeller to be shifted for 0.5degree.The Testing-Unit agreed on that.

After replacing attention will have to be paid to the plane not flying horizontally with more than 2200RPM.This was told to Fl.St.Eng Ebelt(head of department)who agreed on it.

Edited by luftguy

John,

Thanks for posting this interesting set of photos. The tabs in the last photo do appear to look like other pink tabs as represented in black and white photos. Any chance there is a name on any of these photos?

Bill

Fran?ois,

That is one nice set!! I am envious! They look to be, actually worn pieces(collar tabs).

John,

Thank you for posting these great photos!! While the are not members of the Corps of Engineers(These are Construction Troops), they are very interesting! I would be interested in knowing if there is any writing on the reverse of the photographs as well. I will start a thread on the Construction Troops in the near future.

Lets keep the conversation going... if you know of anyone who can make any additions, please ask them to join in!

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the comments, Bill and Paul. I am glad to have the identification of his affiliation confirmed.

Regretably, there is no name on the photos identifying this man. I also have a picture of him in his RAD uniform (pre-LW days) and several wedding photos. The only writing on the reverse is, in some cases, a date or other personal comments.

Two other photos of this same fellow appear in my related posting here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16815

Thanks again,

John

Edited by John Burchell

The next set of photos are items that belonged to Fl.Stabsingenieur Rudolf von Gordon. Sadly, these items were part of his estate that was split up. I have managed to put some of the collection back together. I am actively looking for v. Gordon items so PM me if you know the whereabouts of any pieces.

Here is the biographical info I have been able to put together:

Flieger-Stabsingenieur Dipl.Ing. Rudolf von Gordon

Born: 12 Mar 1903 in Wilhelmshaven

Died: ?

Diploma In Engineering: ?

Promotions:

Flieger-Stabsingenieur (06 Jan 1944)

Career:

Hanseatische Yachtschule (1920?s)

Special assignment as the Radio and Navigational Group Leader (04 Apr 1935 ? 07 May 1936)

Hauptgruppe T: Staff leader of gruppe Tb:Development and Testing projects (01 Jul 1939)

Led two major underwater testing tasks, that were performed within two sub-divisions at Gdingen and Grosseto (1940)

Testing Unit of the LW at Engineer-Corps at Travem?nde doing service at the ID-Disk release (10 Jan 1941)

Technical Administration-Testing Unit Travem?nde: Assigned to the Testing-Unit for under water weapon project "Campiglia" (21 Oct 1942)

Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM), Generalluftzeugmeister/ A ? R? (May 1943)

Reichsluftfahrtministerium, Generalluftzeugmeister/ A ? R? (Jan 1944)

Rudolf von Gordon survived the war.

LWGordenDress.jpg

Edited by luftguy