News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British bayonet pettern 1856

Andrej

I ried to open the links & got this warning:

Warning: the web page which you are about to visit may attempt to request your personal information (such as passwords, credit card numbers and social security numbers) for unauthorized use or may otherwise attempt to harm your computer.

Malicious web sites can use this type of address in order to disguise themselves. The destination may appear to be:

%5burl=http

but the actual destination is:

%5burl%3dhttp

I would want to have some news, dear mates, some informations about the yatagan british Bayonets pattern 1856 and 1858...Who did it use?

Thanks for your replies

Andrea

First, this bayonet was issued with the 2 band model of the Enfield, and the later Snider-Enfield conversion.

These rifles were used by Sergeants in infantry regiments, and all ranks of Rifle regiments.

Many Enfields were exported to the U.S. during the Civil War.

Enfields and later Sniders were used by Britain's colonies - Canada, Australia, India.

The bayonet was also bushed to fit the smaller barrel of the Martini-Henry.

This is not an easy bayonet to identify positively from photos alone. My brother has one that for a short time we really thought was a really rare bayonet. Not so unfortunately. What is needed is accurate dimensions of the muzzle ring for one. All the blade markings and hilt markings will help identify this one. It takes up a few pages in my books. Please post the markings, meanwhile I'll check my notes and books for you.

As an edit, it looks in superb condition, do you have a scabbard for it?

Edited by Jim Maclean

I try again....

But this model of bayonet was used only by the 2 Band Enfield P1856?

Can't say that for sure. The three band rifle lacked the bayonet stud, so it couldn't be used on that rifle. The artillery carbine was supposed to be issued with a brass-handled version of this bayonet, but I'm sure that any bayonet that fit and was in stock was issued, especially in the colonies.

It would have fit either the P1853 or P1858 Enfields, and Snider conversions of same.

Many of the bayonets were contract pieces made in Germany - the F.H may be a German mark.

Thank you very much mates!

I'll do better photos of the marking...the bayonet has, unfortunatly, only the marking F.H that you can see in the photo, anyone else....

unfortunatly I do not have the scabbard, could I find it for a resonable price in the British militaria market?

What is the price of the only scabbard?

• 9 years later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Sturnhorn

Welcome to the GMIC!  Sorry to see that no one else has answered your question.  perhaps you could post a little more information or even a photograph of the bayonet which has this marking on it, so we have a little more to go on?

In the meantime, here is a site which covers a lot - but obvioulsy not ALL - British and Commonwealth bayonet markings.  Keep in mnd that anything produced for the British Army was used throughout the Empire and sold to places like Egypt as well.

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/brit_bayo.html

I hope this is some help.  Again, welcome to the Club.

Peter 

• 1 month later...