News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RN Trade Patches

• Replies 94
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping the images of older Fleet Air Arm badges will be attached and viewable. For those interested in the later FAA badge with the letters 'AE' below the wearer was a "Naval Aircfaft Mechanic(Airframes & Engines)", which in 1980 became "Aircraft Engineering Mechanic(Airframes & Engines)". The only reason I know that is because I was one from 1975 through to 1981, serving with 707 Naval Air Squadron, H.M.S. Heron; 849 N.A.S. - H.Q.Flight, H.M.S. Fulmar & 'B' Flight, H.M.S. Ark Royal; S.H.I.F.T.U., H.M.S. Heron which becames 700(A) N.A.S., then 899 N.A.S., H.M.S. Invincible. For my sins I'm still working on aircraft as a civvy and now Hawks of 100 Sqdn, R.A.F. Leeming.

Graham.

Yep!! Please keep them coming gents. There's a close to infinite :cheeky: number of these patches and not enough info around.

Jim :cheers:

I'm not sure that infinite is correct, I would recognise these symbols and what they meant if I was suddenly transported back in time. Modern badges are a reflection of these, and really it is advancement in technology that has changed the symbols to reflect said change. There sure seems to be plenty of them around though, so much for tradition and the Admirality being afraid of change !!!

Regards;

Johnsy

• 2 weeks later...

Well... we agree that there are a great many of them in any case ;)

I am glad we got this thread going as a lot of info has been gathered here. In many ways I am disappointed to have sold off the bulk of my collection of these patches. However I take comfort in the fact that they were just a sideline collection that had to make way for my main area of collecting.

Jim :cheers:

A further bit of info regarding the plates that I posted above. The rank of Petty Officer 2nd Class was discontinued as of October 1907. It is safe to assume that the rank was worn until all members of that rank were promoted to Petty Officer, reverted to Leading Seaman or "paid off". PO 2nd Class was an interim rank held for a year normally until the sailor proved he was worthy of promotion.

Regards;

Johnsy

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Hey Johnsy!

Been a while since I last checked this thread. May I ask you as to what the coloured patches at the bottom and the purple one are? They look more like some sort of unit badges.... mebbe something to do with the ships you served on?

Regards!

Jim

Hey Johnsy!

Been a while since I last checked this thread. May I ask you as to what the coloured patches at the bottom and the purple one are? They look more like some sort of unit badges.... mebbe something to do with the ships you served on?

Regards!

Jim

The coloured patches are from left to right:

Unofficial 5" gun maintainers patch which I wore on the jacket underneath.

RIMPAC 2000 patch

HMAS Cessnock unofficial Viking patch. Cessnocks official ships plaque is a Celtic warriors shield.

HMAS Hobart unofficial patch. She was known as the "Green Ghost".

:lol: The purple one is a beer coaster from a very famous bar in Kings Cross, Sydney, called "The Fish Bowl". It refers to the large amount of glass and the 270 degree view of the freak show that trudges by. :cheers:

Regards;

Johnsy