News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pierced Crown Clich? Bavarian Pilot's Badge

Claudius,

I have cropped, and cleaned up the photo of the reverse view to point out something. A note of interest...I have seen this exact same flaw in the same place on three different Prussian badges that all bear the square mark. Yours, Tony's (of Tony & Kaiser), and mine all have this die flaw. It looks as if the die may have split or cracked.

Do I understand correctly in that you are saying the square marked badge you have is plated? If so, that (in my mind) would support the idea that this is a maker mark, and not a silver mark. I may be wrong, but I am not aware of any German badges having any "silver" marks when plated. Not saying I am possitive, just thinking out loud.

If you rub your finger over the flaw, you will feel an uneven "step" effect. Tghis is why I think the die was fractured. Even with the flaw, I think these are 100% legit. Unlike the massive amounts Prussian pilot and observer, Bavarian pilot and observer, CEJ, Carl Poellath, Karl Poellath, and oriental "zepplin" badges that bear the "tick" marks of two piece hollow badges, this cliche' type with the square mark are the only ones that I have seen with this die flaw. In short, this flaw is very specific to the square marked Prussian cliche' badge only.

BTW, if someone has the Sanke card shown on page 168 of Charles Wooley's book, please post a close up of the badge he is wearing. I will post a shot from the book, but an actual Sanke card would be much more detailed.

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST

That is very interesting that "flaw" you found on all prussian cliche' badges. When I get home I will need to look at that a little closer.

Just to clarify...iI have seen this only on the "square marked" Prussian cliche' badges. I have only ever seen three of these bearing this mark, and having the flaw. It is entirely possible(and expected) that the die was not always flawed or cracked. IMO, it is entirely logical that ther should be other examples by this maker that do not show the flaw. ;)

• 11 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I like the original posted, stamped badge. I too think the cross is a bit short, but that might be the maker's interpretation. I think the pin, mark and catch are spot-on for this maker.I think the quality and detail is spot-on. I've only owned one original Bavarian badge, years ago. But it was a silver one, not a stamped one. These badges are extremely scarce and extreme care should be exercised when contemplating a purchase, Carsten Baldes would be a fine source, but I doubt he would sell one if he found one!