News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Luftwaffe" ribbon bar...

Hi all,

Hoping this is the appropriate place for this. If not the powers that be can move it. But wanted to share it with you and hopefully it'll give ya'll a chuckle. I know I was just about rolling on the floor. :lol:

Found this last night and could barely believe my eyes. It's got to be about the worst I've ever seen: :speechless1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-Luftwaffe-Ribbon-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Hauptman

Dan, Dan, Dan, what do you know...

This is an ultrarare combination of

Westwall-Medal for the Luftwaffe

The scarce Z?hringer Luftwaffen L?we

Iron Cross with golden eagle and half a sword

10 years NSDAP-cross for, uhm Luftwaffe?

:cheeky:

I really hope, noone bid on this crap :violent:

The odd thing is that he has tons of nice tabs he is parting with at this time as well. Maybe he came across everything as a huge lot and is selling it without knowledge of what is good or bad.

Paul

Terrible indeed. How that could could even convince a naive non collector is beyond me. I mean even if one looks around and does a bit of homework, its not that hard to draw the right conclusions!

Jim

Hallo Dan :cheers:

I see Ebay have removed this "abortion" from sale, wonder where it will turn up next :angry:

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Hi Kevin,

Needless to say I'm glad I did as recommended by Chairman Nick as otherwise this "beauty" would have been lost for all time :cheeky: ... unless it pops up somewhere else.

Perhaps this time is was a "good" collector with some knowledge that reported it just to get it off of there. :unsure:

I was sorely tempted to write the seller and tell him what it was he had... but figured he'd think I was trying to get a deal or something. Who knows with people anymore. Arrrrrgh! :rolleyes:

Dan :cheers:

The sad thing, of course, is that some beginning collector might have bought it, discovered their error, and then abandoned the 'hobby'. More 'new blood' lost thanks to the fraudsters.

Hi Ed,

Amen to that! Glad it's off... at least for now.

Dan, Dan, Dan, what do you know...

This is an ultrarare combination of

Westwall-Medal for the Luftwaffe

The scarce Z?hringer Luftwaffen L?we

Iron Cross with golden eagle and half a sword

10 years NSDAP-cross for, uhm Luftwaffe?

:cheeky:

I really hope, noone bid on this crap :violent:

Hi Gerd,

You've no idea how badly I needed the good laugh this brought me when I read it. Many thanks my friend!!!! :cheers:

Far as I know no one bid. :unsure:

The odd thing is that he has tons of nice tabs he is parting with at this time as well. Maybe he came across everything as a huge lot and is selling it without knowledge of what is good or bad.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Probably the case... at least I hope so. As I agree, the tabs do look great. :beer:

Terrible indeed. How that could could even convince a naive non collector is beyond me. I mean even if one looks around and does a bit of homework, its not that hard to draw the right conclusions!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'd hope this is correct but I've seen some newbie collectors who are entranced by seeing tons of those small metal insignia plastered all over ribbon bars. I fell into the same hole with quite a few of mine... but I think on mine, at least to a newbie that they at least looked right, especially considering how there were no references (that I'm aware of) at that time (20-25 some odd years ago).

Just one more reason to tell newer collectors to study, study, study and then study some more before letting loose of their hard earned dollars. :beer:

Very well said Dan. Books are the key.... and as much hands on experience as one can possibly get! Like you back in the early 90's, collecting soviet was almost blind till the advent of the red bible. It only started to get better years after that.

As for lansknecthe's comment.... well.... in this particular case anyone involved in selling or buying is disturbing as how such an item can ever be considered authentic and original is way beyond me!

Jim :cheers:

Very well said Dan. Books are the key.... and as much hands on experience as one can possibly get! Like you back in the early 90's, collecting soviet was almost blind till the advent of the red bible. It only started to get better years after that.

As for lansknecthe's comment.... well.... in this particular case anyone involved in selling or buying is disturbing as how such an item can ever be considered authentic and original is way beyond me!

Many thanks Jim! :cheers: And amen to lansknechte's comments as well. And on the Soviet items and still to a very large extent the rest of the Soviet Block countries which save for GMIC there is very little reference material available, especially in English. Thank God for the red and green bibles and Dave's additional contribution there (which I still have to order, :blush: but for the most part I, like many others I'm sure was flying blind for years. If only I'd known then what I know now there are so many high end pieces I'd have grabbed. Sigh. Now they're out of reach for the most part or in some cases will just cost me dearly... but who knew. I mean I had no idea what 98% of the Orders and medals were much less what they were called or what to pay for them if I ran across them. First ORS I ever saw was in a small shop I used to frequent (which is long gone) and was on consignment. Was asking $350! :speechless1: I passed as I simply didn't have the funds at the time. And the guy wasn't open to trade... only cash. Now who knows... might have been a rare type or something. Had no idea of such things back them much less researching or any of the rest. That all came a good bit after that. But when ORS's started going for $15 to $35 not too long after that... well I felt very happy that I'd passed on that first one.

On the other Soviet Block countries I just look for what I feel are deals I simply can't pass up for items I like and I grab them. Over time you get a feel for things but boy oh boy would some good references in English make all the difference.

All we can do, both as a club and as collectors is to educate new collectors whenever we have a chance and teach them to read, study and check out other collections, museum displays, etc., every chance they get so it will better prepare them for the moment when they face some copies or mucked up garbage like that ribbon bar... and they can "Just say no!." :D

Thanks, :beer:

Well said again Dan!

We all have what if's.... but yes... sometimes a what if is better than losing good money on a fake... especially when venturing towards the higher end!!!