News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Yugoslavian People's Army

• 7 months later...

Now here's the trick how to easily tell types apart. On earlier type top of the head of the worker with hammer is "round".

TYPE 1 

03.thumb.jpg.e513e22248b13cb63f715b4b120
    04.thumb.jpg.037ede657dbf73a2b4a8cecbe1b
    05.thumb.jpg.be15806efc7d80128ed12a8cfe2

Edited by paja

• 1 year later...

Are the 3rd class versions, without any hallmarks, always tombak (aka red brass)?  I'm looking at an example right now that exhibits a classic silver patina, not the shiny 'chrome' nor the splotchy finish that is typical with tombak.  I see no hallmarks and the seller claims "silver" but I'm not sure.

YOPA3.jpg

Edited by Eric Gaumann
    added image

I can't give you a definitive answer but that's certainly a possibility. For example I've seen silver 1st class orders (Type 1) without hallmarks. Apart from that there are other silver orders made by the same factory without hallmarks, for example I have one Order of Military Merits like that, same thing with the Order of Merits for the People...
    If it's Type 1 then it's definitely silver, I believe tombak (or whatever cheaper metal they used) variants of that type don't exist.

Edited by paja

9 hours ago, paja said:

I can't give you a definitive answer but that's certainly a possibility.
    If it's Type 1 then it's definitely silver, I believe tombak (or whatever cheaper metal they used) variants of that type don't exist.

Thank you, Paja!  It looks like a Type 1.  Do the two metals have a different weight?   Can you give weights for silver and tombak in 3rd Class, please?

yopa2.jpg

On closer inspection it looks more like T2.  So more than likely tombak?  It does have that nice patina though.  I want to believe. :)

yopa1.jpg

Don't mention it, Eric!
    Looks more like Type 2 to me. Considering that those orders are far from rare I'd suggest getting one that is silver without a doubt, although I must say that one looks nice regardless of the material they used. Generally speaking most of them cost around the same, whether they are Type 1 or Type 2, silver or not.

It's not a problem to give you weights, but unfortunately that won't get you anywhere. Weights vary even within the same type... For example Georg14 and I have compared weights of orders from our collections and his Type 1 and Type 2 were both around 5 grams heavier than mine.

Type 1: 60,5g
    01.thumb.JPG.f17ad0266588c77e11b7340aeb251f41.JPG

Type 2.1: 67.8g
    02.thumb.JPG.7cd24c471ccab97b65e690777d8c7e16.JPG

Type 2.2: 65,8g
    03.thumb.jpg.4820480ed4846f759eb7f7b21fa4aa34.jpg

Edited by paja

On 6/16/2008 at 19:03, wlodzimierz said:

Images of new type of Order of Yugoslavian People's Army 1st cl.

This order is made from tombac in 1981 - 1985, it has no hallmarks.

P1010012.jpg

P1010014.jpg

I've been reading older posts and this one caught my attention. I'm convinced that that order is made out of silver even though wlodzimierz lists it as a new tombak type from 1981-1985.
    It's Type 1 and all of Type 1 orders were made out of silver regardless of class. Apart from that all of 1st class orders were made out of silver. Tombak was used for the production of 2nd and 3rd class orders...
    So to conclude, that's early, Type 1 order, made out of silver without hallmarks on the back.

Edited by paja

6 hours ago, paja said:

Don't mention it, Eric!
    Looks more like Type 2 to me. Considering that those orders are far from rare I'd suggest getting one that is silver without a doubt, although I must say that one looks nice regardless of the material they used. Generally speaking most of them cost around the same, whether they are Type 1 or Type 2, silver or not.

It's not a problem to give you weights, but unfortunately that won't get you anywhere. Weights vary even within the same type... For example Georg14 and I have compared weights of orders from our collections and his Type 1 and Type 2 were both around 5 grams heavier than mine.

Type 1: 60,5g  Type 2.1: 67.8g  Type 2.2: 65,8g

Many thanks for that information.  I was under the assumption that tombak was lighter, I guess that's not the case.

6 hours ago, paja said:

I've been reading older posts and this one caught my attention. I'm convinced that that order is made out of silver even though wlodzimierz lists it as a new tombak type from 1981-1985.
    It's Type 1 and all of Type 1 orders were made out of silver regardless of class. Apart from that all of 1st class orders were made out of silver. Tombak was used for the production of 2nd and 3rd class orders...
    So to conclude, that's early, Type 1 order, made out of silver without hallmarks on the back.

What do you think about that idea of silver-plated tombak?  Have you ever heard that?  It might explain the patina on your and my examples.  I also get the sense that the other, more obvious tombak examples (that have that shiny chrome look), have some sort of clear lacquer applied to them.  Agree?

Type 1 orders are smaller in size so that's the reason why they are a bit lighter. Type 2 silver one is just 2g heavier than the one made out of tombak. And like I said weights vary even within same type, Georg's Type 1 is 65,6g and Type 2 72,1g.
    Some Yugoslav orders are definitely made out of silver plated tombak, I have one early Order of Labor 3rd class with most of the silvering gone and you can clearly see that the base is made out of brownish metal. I think lacquer is applied on the last type of that order so that might be the case with the Order of the People's Army as well, I'll check tomorrow if I can see traces of it and let you know.
    I've read an article by Nenad Bjeloš about these orders and according to the author Type 1 orders were produced until 1961. Tombak was introduced in the '80s and only 2nd and 3rd class were made out of it, so all 1st classes are silver. Based on that I think it is safe to say all Type 1 orders are made out of silver. 
    Stojan Rudež who was the Chief of the Chancellery of Orders wrote in his book that this order was instituted on January 1st 1952. but the final solution for it's design was chosen in April 1953. He also states that 2nd and 3rd class were made out of tombak from 1980 onward.
    So we have this timeline:
    Type 1 (silver) 1953-1961
    Type 2.1 (silver) 1961-1980
    Type 2.2 (tombak) 1980-1992

1953-1980 silver
    1980-1992 tombak

On 3/23/2017 at 21:30, paja said:

I think lacquer is applied on the last type of that order so that might be the case with the Order of the People's Army as well, I'll check tomorrow if I can see traces of it and let you know.

First, thanks so much for your help in increasing my knowledge about these! 

Concerning the quote above regarding lacquer use and my questions that prompted the reply; I just noticed on the first page of this post a silver hallmarked award that exhibits the 'splotchy' patina that I attribute to lacquer.  It may not even be lacquer; there are many reasons patina develops in less uniform ways.

Apologies for not replying sooner. 
    You are welcome, I enjoy discussions like this. 
    Perhaps they used a different technique later. I've never seen Order of the People's Army with the silvering gone unlike early Labor Order. Also most of them are still very "shinny" while those Labor Orders have patina...

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

That's prototype (2) of the 2nd class order, to my understanding there were three prototypes of the People's Army Order.  
    First class prototype (2) is pretty much the same but it has a laurel wreath around the central ring.

Ko radi taj i greši :)
    Here's a photo of prototype 1 of the 2nd class from H.D. Rauch's "Medal Auction 2014". It was wrongly attributed as the prototype of the War Banner Order (Orden der Kriegsflagge (D) Erste Probe)
    Starting price: 3.000 EUR, unsold.
    LINK
    2274337.m.jpg.6e2d87e47bd2156a16ba210c3f9a394c.jpg

Edited by paja

• 3 months later...