News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

'New' Soviet medal cases

I happen to have one that is part of a group of a relative of mine. Whereas I would like to mount the goup for the best display, I have not got myself to remove the medal from its plastic case. After all that is how the veteran in question kept it.

My solution will be to buy another one and display it in stead of the original sealed medal. Of course the original medal will be retained and logged in my database as belonging to the group. Perhaps ethically the best solution possible.

Jim :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

I remember these being available here in 1994 before the old warriors who were entitled to them even GOT them :angry: , but never never never saw how they were packaged.

:cheers:

I have one like this that was given out to a member of the US 8th Air Force. Most of the ones coming from Soviet veterans were unwrapped and worn, but I think a lot of foreign recipients (or ones that never made it to their Soviet recipient, such as if the recipient had recently passed on) were never unwrapped.

Dave

Mine was in fact given to a Soviet veteran who passed away just over a year ago. Having been unwell for some time and also not having been much a fan of the communist regime inspite of his participation in the great patriotic war, he never had the reason to wear these medals ever since the collapse of the USSR. This medal hence remained tale quale!

Packed as is, it tells another story, about those who fought for their country and subsequently, had to live under a regime which the could not really believe in - a regime which this veteran always referred to as Red Fascists! (Not publicly of course and only to his very inner circle!!!!)

I must personally admit that the plastic packing does not do much honour to the medal or the veteran. Its not like the magnificant medal cases we can see in other fora. Its a cheap plastic (and very disposable) cover for a not so high quality medal (like all other commemorative medals) made to pay nothing more than lip service to the veterans of the GPW. At least the 1985 OGPW, was something a little bit more substantial, albeit nothing more than a symbol of a fast declining ideology.

Discussing this particulsar medal has brought to my mind some of my discussions with this veteran and his feelings about these matters which I thought I'd share.

Jim