News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Albanian military uniforms

Hi Belaruski:

That first picture is interesting for more than just the uniforms - the one person wearing the white peaked cap is wearing a Hero of the People star!

As for ranks and insignia, there is actually a VERY useful site that has not only early communist uniform insignia, but also Zogist and Italian annexation period uniforms: http://www.uniforminsignia.net/

Communist and current and a smattering of Italian annexation stuff:

http://www.uniforminsignia.net/index.php?p=state&id=80

Zogist era:

http://www.uniforminsignia.net/index.php?p=state&id=299

Hope that helps!

Edited by Eric Schena

the person in the picture wearing hero of people is Spiro Kote a navy officer, I have his other medals they were in his museum in the navy district were I work, but I dont have the hero of people one. I have explained earlier how he got that medal hero of people.

Hi Belaruski:

That first picture is interesting for more than just the uniforms - the one person wearing the white peaked cap is wearing a Hero of the People star!

As for ranks and insignia, there is actually a VERY useful site that has not only early communist uniform insignia, but also Zogist and Italian annexation period uniforms: http://www.uniforminsignia.net/

Communist and current and a smattering of Italian annexation stuff:

http://www.uniforminsignia.net/index.php?p=state&id=80

Zogist era:

http://www.uniforminsignia.net/index.php?p=state&id=299

Hope that helps!

Very interesting photos there. I take it they were done in the 1970s when the Albanians ditched regular rank insignia in favour of Chinese-style uniforms and ranks (officers-four pockets, soldiers-two pockets).

Are there also any photos of Albanian uniforms with rank badges and insignia in the 1960s?

These 2 pictures are from the Albanian magazine 'serving the people', which I got from our friend 'Albania' above!

Have a look at his ebay store, or contact him for other Albanian books and magazines. I would really love an Albanian tunic from the 50's but I think that's never going to happen!

• 1 year later...

Are there any pics available of Albanian military uniforms? I am sure they were simple during the time of Hoxha after they abolished rank insignia.

How about uniforms with rank insignia before 1970?

Hi, STEPHENMILLER,

This is an ex albanian general in a M-66 uniform (the ranks are abolished in 1965). The colar patch are for the Ministry of the Interior colour.

Best,

Artan

• 10 years later...
    • 3 months later...
    On 23/12/2019 at 06:40, xjames said:

Hi all,

Does anyone here have or know where i can find Major General Army shoulder board epaulets for 1960s uniforms?

Please let me know if so. Much appreciated

Thank you

Hi Xjames,

The major part of the attributes of the albanian uniform M.61 came from USSR. This also goes for the shoulder board. So if you find a soviet general epaulet, you have the same an albanian general.

Regards,

Zaim

• 5 months later...
    On 25/12/2019 at 17:01, Zaim Qyteza said:

Hi Xjames,

The major part of the attributes of the albanian uniform M.61 came from USSR. This also goes for the shoulder board. So if you find a soviet general epaulet, you have the same an albanian general.

Regards,

Zaim

Thank you for your response Zaim. I have also noticed the shoulder boards of Soviet uniforms of the time appear to be very similar to if not identical with Albanian General uniforms. 

Best,

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Hope this will be of some interest to the community. The attached image shows Army Major General epaulettes from service uniform and two badges from soviet military academies. 
    Top: Graduation badge of the Soviet Military Academy of the General Staff (Voroshillov Military Academy) issued after 1957.

Bottom: Graduation badge of Frunze Military Academy issued before 1957

The epaulettes are of the type issued before 1980, possibly during  the 1960s.

These type of graduation badges from Soviet Military Academies were often worn as part of the service uniform by many Albanian high ranking military officers before 1961 who had studied in Soviet Military Academies. I believe the wearing of such badges was common practice in the Soviet Union as well. Badges of this type worn by Albanian military officers are relatively rare as only a very small percentage of high ranking officers studied at these military institutions as well as for historical reasons (especially early designs).

Best,

E9E27416-B690-400D-9E13-6AF420C6F8CA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

does anyone here have diplomas issued by the Albanian Military Academy between 1960 and 1966 (or can post a photograph of them here)? I suppose they also came with their own graduation badge as did soviet academies of the era

regards,