News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Meissen made German Commemorative Medallions

Hi there,

I just picked up a Meissen made (famous German ceramics and pottery maker) commemorative medal for the conquer of France and Paris 1940. On the obverse? is a tank coming over a hill with a swaztika above it and the inscription around the edges "Zur Erinnerung an den Feldzug in Frankreich" with crossed swords at the bottom. On the reverse is a picture of the Eiffel tower with Luftwaffe planes flying past and the inscription "Einnahme von Paris 14. Juni 1940" around the outer edge. I am sorry about having no pic, I will try to get a scan over to my friend to post the pic for me. It is made of a reddy-brown clay ceramic? (I am not an expert in this field) like the one posted earlier on the forum for the capture of Singapore.

I am basically just looking to see if anyone else has one of these to post for this specific medallion or any of the Meissen made ceramic non-portable medals made to commemorate Axis military victories. Also, any information about these awards is very helpful and I was wondering if these are faked often, and maybe how to tell a fake if there are many.

Cheers and lets see your examples!

Pat

Many thanks Larry!

Thanks for posting the pics of my Meissen made red clay medallion for the campaign in France. Can anyone help out as to determining authenticity and with more background info on these pieces? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat

Come on, somebody's got to have one of these out there! Or I could be mistaken, these might be harder to come by than I thought. Any ideas or examples of this Meissen medal or one similar to it? I've come across a few on some dealer sites (some painted, some not) and mine appears to be legit compared to those ones, and I paid a similar price to the ones advertised. Not a lot of info on these out there, and what little there is is buried under all the other "Meissen" brand name pottery and china that is on the web (and I don't think the company, that is still operating, wants this TR association advertised all that much!) making it difficult to find a good reference.

Cheers and thanks,

Pat

Detlev had quite a few of these for sale last year, I had a look at them but passed on them.

I have a similar type Meissen medallion which was for the 1933 Reichsparteitag

• 4 years later...
    • 1 year later...

A belated thanks Don,

Nick, that cased example is an extraordinary example. It looks as good as the day it was made. I have seen one with the green paint on it but the red and gold is striking. Does anyone else have one to share?

Pat

• 1 year later...

Came across this unglazed porcelain Luftwaffe medal in a antique shop, its quite large 4,8cm (nearly 2inches) diameter. One side has a swastika in the centre with the text "The forced upon us war must be the most glorious victory in German history" the second side depicts Junker's 87 - Stuka's flying over Tower Bridge with (premature) text "There's today, no islands more ". Liked it so much I bought it,

Alec,

Quite unusual! I would have thought that this run would have been quite short! I scrubbed that 'chicken thing' I got with a bit of soap and water and it came up a treat! They do pick up the grubby finger prints don't they, not being glazed?

Best Regards

Jock :)

Jock,

From what I gather, these commerative pieces were struck for the participants of the action and as you say a short run, I've been told less than 2000 white pieces, 3000 brown pieces and 200 brown pieces with a gold border. They are numbered in Meissen's cataloque as Sch 1877a. Thanks for the soap and water tip, apart from popping it into a plastic bag, I've done nothing with it.