News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Little and Large

Hello Gordon

Sorry - I'm a little confused by the reference to Juncker RK in the post above.....

You posted this GK in an S&L thread the other day....is this an S&L GK??

Marshall

Edited by Biro

Hi Marshall,

It was only shown with the S&L RK for size comparison, and the reference to the Junker RK is simply in regard to the fact that whoever cut the tooling which gave the beading the # effect on the Junker RK didn't exactly cover himself with glory in terms of being a master craftsman when you look at what could be achieved.

As for this one, it matches the one in Geissler Page 254. which is believed NOT to be Juncker.

Interestingly, the tiny 800 mark is typical of Steinhauer though.

Very interesting Dietrich. The one you have and mine share many frame characteristics, but the numerals are very different.

Given that Herr Escher was given the task of cutting all the original 1939 Iron Cross dies, it makes sense that S&L must have had the full range made, from EK2 up to GK, although it has been suggested that Juncker alone were given the contract to supply the PK (though I have never seen documented evidence of this).

There are several aspects of the GK I have that suggest "S&L" to me ( the tiny 800 which was an S&L characteristic, the use of Rhodium plating visible on the flat outer frame -also found on early S&L pieces, etc) Also, the existence of the original GK die frame tooling in the Ordensmuseum in L?denscheid which I suspect was donated by S&L.

I have seen a GK in the normal blue covered GK case in the style used for the RK of the KVK (unlike the red case with gold eagle used on the very first awards of the RK and the first GK to HG) which matched this possible "S&L" GK and was allegedly part of the Klessheim hoard.

Guest Brian von Etzel

As you surely know ( biggrin.gif ) this cross is from Klessheim. Let me try to compare the corners..

Dietrich

Purported to be or we "surely know"???

Guest Brian von Etzel

Thank you Dietrich, I would have to say when it's original and beautiful as that one is, the story just sort of 'fits'. Thank you so much for having the reputation you do to be trusted with this piece and be given the opportunity to share what you could. It's a great benefit to all of us.

The piece of the puzzle missing from my knowledge base is what makes a wartime issue Juncker on original dies different from a postwar Juncker made on original dies as related by the late Mr. Stump.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Brian,

yes, that is a puzzle that might be impossible to solve. IF the story if post war restrikes is true and 'they' made them in the same quality as pre-war, how could one ever know?

The first order of business in this case really would be to find out whether Bills' story is true. But how could that be done? We might never find out!

Dietrich