News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind words. With respect to the Polish wings there is a strong outline that they have been there for quite some time. In fact if you remove them from the jacket you can see a slight color change from the decades. True that I can never prove 100% that the Warsaw made wings were always there and not replaced at some other point but a good indicator is that one of the loops that hold the chain to the wings has broken at some point and the owner actually took the time to stitch chain into place. I will try to photo it if I can to illustrate. There is also a faint ghosting around the RAF wings showing the same type of wear and fading as the Polish wing. Again I will try to photo. Likewise with the POLAND shoulder titles.

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by GregK

As promised some detail shots of the Polish Air Force in Exile tunic. I tried to get the detail that I mentioned but it's difficult to get without fantastic lighting. I tried to get the best I could and here's the results.

1. The Warsaw made Pilot's wing. You can sort of see the fading around the bottom part of the wing. I only turned it rather than removed it as the chain is stitched. As I mentioned in my previous post the loop for the chain has broken and the chain was stitched in place.

PAF4.jpg

2. The RAF wing. Again it's tough to make out the "ghosting" around it.

PAF5.jpg

3. The PAF gold colored buttons. Made by Gaunt. Have always been stitched onto it as there in no evidence of any others.

PAF6.jpg

4. POLAND shoulder title. Yet again the "ghosting" is there but hard to capture.

PAF7.jpg

Edited by GregK

Another tunic from the collection. This is actually a full uniform with trousers etc. (trousers packed away). It is identified as well. All one man's items. Interesting to note is that this uniform is actually an NZ issue. It was very common for Poles to acquire BD's from other countries. Shoulders have been padded and colar tailored as per usual with Polish tunics. The "ribbon bar" isn't actually a ribbon bar at all. It's colored thread wound around a bar in the colors of the ribbons. Collar insignia is of plastic that was "liberated" from a factory in Italy (if you look at some of my initial posts you will see other examples of plastic insignia in the display case). 8th Army shield is of metal and field made as well. Beret is a standard British beret made by Kangol.

Overall front shot:

7Lub1.jpg

Left Side:

7Lub2.jpg

Right Side:

7Lub3.jpg

Edited by GregK

Time to get away from the uniforms for a bit (they're all packed for moving and won't see the light of day for a couple of months).

Two of my Polonia Restitvta medals. Both 3rd class. Top one is an early Government in Exile piece made by Spink. Never issued and in pretty nice shape. The second is a pre-war example made by Gontarczyk. Heavily worn. Someone was super proud to have earned this one!!

Overall shot:

PR1.jpg

Reverse:

PR2.jpg

Spink front:

SPRf.jpg

Spink reverse:

SPRr.jpg

Gontarczyk front:

GPRf.jpg

Gontarczyk reverse:

GPRr.jpg

Maybe some Crosses of Valour tomm. Please feel free to comment.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by GregK

• 1 month later...

Hi Antti,

Thanks for the kind words. I am currently in the process of reorganizing my collection in my new home so hopefully I will have some photos of my "war room" to post soon. Add to that I am working on a deal to pick up something very special and almost unique to add to it. Hopefully I can showcase that in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Greg

• 10 months later...
    • 6 years later...
    I am beginning to trace the history of the below deceased, a man I knew to be quiet & unassuming. He settled in the UK and fathered two sons. Unfortunately neither son has shown sufficient interest in researching their father's service or other history
    Wladyslaw Laczkaczewski-Najduch DoB 01:11:1923, grew up in Krzywzyki a village in Poland. The village was near the border with the USSR. Wladislav attended the same school and played football with Pope John Paul. His father Frank, (thats a relief) was the local police commissioner of the town/village where they lived on a farm raising…………..? (he had fought for Austria/Hungary in WW1 and had been gassed by the British side)
    Wladislaw was about ? years of age when at the time of the German-Russian alliance/pact, Russia had already made incursions into Poland. Wladislaw and his parents were taken prisoner and transported to Siberia where his father died. When Russia decided to change sides and join the western allies, Wladislaw was given a choice…….join the Russian army or head off south. Walter did what anyone with a brain would do if they wanted to stay alive for at least a week or two, he became a Russian soldier.
    ? weeks/months passed before Wladislaw made up his mind what he had to do. Bugger off! He headed south……..to the Middle East. There he joined up with the British military and became attached to the British 8th army. Remaining uniform badges and medals indicate he was in the 3rd Carpathian Rifles & Polish 2nd Warszawski Armoured Division?
    There may be other material/regalia/medals in one of the sons houses, but obtaining that from him is not easy. I have seen an address in Northolt UK which might be of assistance for his service history perhaps? Can you confirm please?
    Is there any organisation or person that would appreciate my findings before I too am history?

I am unable to send images on here for some reason but should anyone be interested, mail me at the above.

there is a Monte Cassino cross with "Montecassino" in metal script on the ribbon; why is that?

Edited by Pat Healey

Greg , excellent that your very complete Polish collection has been brought back to the top.

Such a detailed set of uniforms and equipment must be a great source of reference for collectors

and you must get many calls for help. Please continue to up-date on this Forum. Best wishes Mervyn

• 2 weeks later...