News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Netherlands Order of Oranje-Nassau

Jeff,

PM me the name and I can probably get you the date of award. The why will be more difficult.

Gr.,

Erik

In my experience the date gives a reall hint to the why, for someone who takes the effort to really get into to detailed history

but then again I am just :speechless:

David

• Replies 87
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case, the recipient had World War II service in the US Army, but stayed in the US the entire war. Since it's a civil knight, I assume that it was from later in his career. He was an attorney for the US government and I would guess that the Orange Nassau was for a case involving Dutch interests (or perhaps as an honorary counsel). The date should point me in the right direction.

Reportedly, da Costa of Lisbon made some Orange Nassau insignia perhaps during WW II. Jeff, didn't FJP auction a commander's star with swords of that type 5-7 years ago? Spink of London may have manufactured some badges in the 1940s as well.

We had several Portuguese-made pieces from Gary Hartman's collection. I'll have to check the details.

Spink never made ON-badges as far as I know (at least there are no mention of an order for badges to Spink in the WW2-archives). ON-badges from the Portugese firm can be identified by the striations on the sides of the armes (or medal).

ere's the miniature group (I have the full sized medals as well, but this is easier to scan). My edited inventory description of the miniature group:

Group to Candler Cobb: Army Commendation Medal Selective Service Medal, World War II; American Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal; Netherlands Order of Orange Nassau, officer, civil; New York Conspicuous Service Cross; Military Order of Foreign Wars membership medal; Military Order of the World Wars membership medal.

Candler Cobb, born in Chicago, is believed to have been an Assistant US Attorney in New York. His Order of Orange Nassau was awarded in 1947 as ?former secretary of the Queen Wilhelmina Fund in New York.?

Edited by JBFloyd

• 11 years later...

Here is one in gold. Incidentally, I really like the book on the subject of Dutch orders: "Knights of Orange: Orders of the Netherlands" by Antti Ruokonen, do you? About 400 pages in color and first printed in 2015.318426182_goldnassau.thumb.jpg.973c56908172fe66e5069c212e03e165.jpg1402424671_goldorangenassau2.thumb.jpg.1ec9b589bb54afaeb2a41733a131efab.jpg1232801956_goldorangenassau3.thumb.jpg.a28b5207059c27427b3768e5c460e71f.jpg

Dutchboy,

Your picture looks a lot like the now defunct South African Honoris Crux (of which I have a miniature copy). The only differences seems to be that the green on the ''compass points'' on your image is white on the Honoris Crux while the gold on your design is changed to silver on the South African version.

Which medal is portrayed there?

Wessel

• 2 years later...

I was told that there were 2 colors used for the Medal Ribbon, a Yellow for one Class, as Military, and an Orange for Civilian, does anyone have info on this??

Edited by menelder
    left out info