News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This wall contains 4,000 service medals...

This wall contains 4,000 service medals. Each represents 100 Victorians who have served Australia in war or peacekeeping, and six who have died.

This is what is written at the entrance of Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance.

The Shrine was built between July 1928 and November 1934 in remembrance of those 114,000 men and women of Victoria who served and those who died in the Great War of 1914-1918. 89,100 of them served overseas and 19,000 did not return.

Here is the website of the Shrine of Remembrance :

http://www.shrine.org.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

The Crypt.

The Crypt is below the Sanctuary and measures nine metres square. It contains the Sovereign and Regimental colours and a series of bronze panels recording the army and navy units that took part in World War 1 and the names of Royal Australian Navy ships lost in the war.

In the centre of the Crypt is a bronze statue of a father and son. The sculpture honours the courage and service of two succeeding generations of Victorians.

Ch.

This wall contains 4,000 service medals. Each represents 100 Victorians who have served Australia in war or peacekeeping, and six who have died.

This is what is written at the entrance of Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance.

The Shrine was built between July 1928 and November 1934 in remembrance of those 114,000 men and women of Victoria who served and those who died in the Great War of 1914-1918. 89,100 of them served overseas and 19,000 did not return.

Here is the website of the Shrine of Remembrance :

http://www.shrine.org.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1

Ch.

Great photos Christophe!

But I do not get the math!

This wall contains 4,000 service medals.

Each represents 100 Victorians who have served Australia in war or peacekeeping, and six who have died.

4000 x 100 = 400,000 Victorians who served Australia.......

4000 x 6 = 24,000 who died

And I am usually good with numbers!

Also, the medals do seem to be in a rather new condition. Is Ed right in saying these are all REPROS? If that is the case I am disturbed at the idea of putting repros in such a memorial??? And if not.... if these are originals, my more disturbing question is - have groups been split to keep the medals in the what is very obviously, a display organised by medal type and not by group.

I am puzzled!

Jim :cheers:

I'd wager they are replicas (which have an active and moderately respected 'niche' in Australia). Worse would be that they are dipped and painted originals (with clasps stripped).

A classy display, though!

Edited by Ed_Haynes

(...)

But I do not get the math!

This wall contains 4,000 service medals.

Each represents 100 Victorians who have served Australia in war or peacekeeping, and six who have died.

4000 x 100 = 400,000 Victorians who served Australia.......

4000 x 6 = 24,000 who died

And I am usually good with numbers!(...)

Jim,

I understand that the first figures I have posted relate to WW1 only. The total, as displayed on the Wall, should include more recent operations (WW2, peace-keeping operations...). There are recent medals included. That's how I understand those figures... but maybe am I wrong. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

I'd wager they are replicas (which have an active and moderately respected 'niche' in Australia). Worse would be that they are dipped and painted originals (with clasps stripped).

A classy display, though!

These are not "originals", or awarded medals, but mint ones. Called "replicas" for the oldest ones ?

Cheers.

Ch.

There are only 22 different types of repro medals in the wall.

They are just repeated over & over as can be seen.

Reproductions here are even worn by vets on parades,

best to keep the originals safely locked away.

Jim,

I understand that the first figures I have posted relate to WW1 only. The total, as displayed on the Wall, should include more recent operations (WW2, peace-keeping operations...). There are recent medals included. That's how I understand those figures... but maybe am I wrong. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Yeah... Australian Math ;) We're probably missing out on something.

But figures apart - Although I love the display, I think that the use of replicas somehow foes not do honour to the shrine! IMHO!

I have once stood infront of a collection or WW1 trios at a friend's house. I was humbled by the odd 40 or 50 groups he owned. But I think, that if I had to stand infront of all these replicas, it somehow not do it for me!

Please, don't forget the main aim of the place is remembrance, and not phaleristics :rolleyes: ...

The place and this "monument" are just symbols, for everyone to remember about the men and women who fought or were in these wars and peacekeeping operations. I just find it quite "striking" and aesthetic. Don't underestimate the effect such a display can have on youngest generations.

Cheers.

Ch.