News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Air Gunner DFM...local lad.

Hi all,

While my other half was tending her Dads grave in our local cemetery I went for a wander and found this grave to a Flight Sergeant called Adderley who holds the DFM. After asking on the 12 O'clock High forum a very helpful chap(thanks Malcolm) found Adderleys London Gazette citation for his DFM.....shame they couldn't even spell his name right :(

He also provided me with a photo of Alfred.

ADDERLEY, Albert. 544454 Flight Sergeant, No.115 Sqn. (Immediate). London Gazette 2/9/1941. Sorties 43, Flying Hours 280. Air Gunner.

On the day of 24th july, 1941 Flight Sergeant Adderley was the rear gunner of a Wellington Mk.IC aircraft detailed for an attack on Brest. Just outside the flak barrrage area, his aircraft was attacked by an Me.109 which opened fire at 600 yards range, hitting the armour of the rear turret. Flight Sergeant Adderley returned fire at 300 yards, giving him a long burst to within 50 yards. The enemy aircraft turned off to port and, after one more burst, crashed into the sea out of control. Despite the heavy flak barrage and difficult conditions prevailing Flight Sergeant Adderley displayed the highest possible courage in the face of the enemy attack. Flight Sergeant Adderley has, in all his operational flights, set a very fine example to the other Air Gunners of the unit of courage and devotion to duty. 26th July, 1941.

The following his from his commanding officer..

Remarks by Station Commander.

Flight Sergeant Adderley has now carried out 43 operational flights and has always shown the greatest keenness to get at the enemy. His enthusiasm and courage has done much to raise the espirit de corps of the Air Gunners of his flight. Strongly recommeded for the immediate award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.

Then after all those hazardous missions he gets killed on a training exercise while instructing others to be Air Gunners.

Flight Sergeant Albert Adderley was killed on exercise on 24th May, 1942, while flying as Air Gunner in a Wellington IC of No.1483 Target Towing & Gunnery Flight. Whilst taking evasive action the aircraft's main wing spar failed, causing the starboard wing to break away. It crashed at Stanton, Suffolk, killing all nine crew members.

He died age 21 :(

http://www.wargraves.org.uk/gravedetails.asp?id=493174 I know where his family home is and I'm now trying to research more about him especially the mission to Brest where he won his DFM.

Some info on 115 Squadron...

One the finest records of operational service in Bomber Command.

Carried out the first ?Gee? trials in August 1941

Carried out the third highest number of bombing raids in Bomber Command heavy squadrons and most raids in 3 Group.

Flew the second highest number of sorties in Bomber Command.

Probably dropped the second greatest tonnage of bombs, approximately 23,000 tons.

Suffered the most loses in the whole of Bomber Command.

The only squadron to lose more than 200 aircraft in the war.

Carried out the most raids, flew the most sorties and suffered the most losses of any Wellington squadron in Bomber Command.

Carried out the most raids, flew the most sorties and suffered the most losses and the highest percentage loss rate in any Lancaster squadron in 3 Group.