News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian "pith" Helmets

Here is my latest helmet. It is a New South Wales Foreign Service helmet to the NSW Infantry, although since it was worn at home as well, I'm not sure about calling it a Foreign Service helmet but that is the style. Anyway it features the "Badge of the Colony" plate which was designed by James Barnet and Capt Francis Hixson and was adopted for use in 1876. It consists of the Coat of Arms of the NSW colony within a Waratah wreath (the Waratah being the floral emblem of the colony) and a lion and the stars of the Southern Cross.

The scarlet cloth backing was approved in 1883 so that dates my helmet to 1883-1901. In 1901 the Australian States federated and control of State forces was ceded to the Commonwealth.

Anybody out there got any Australian helmets to show?

Stuart

NSWFront.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any markings on the actual Wolseley helmet itself? The one I have is a Royal Marine one, the sweatband is dated 1962 but apart from whatever badge you stick on the front there's nothing to date the actual helmet itself, so although your Wolseley has a QEII badge, it could be far older than the 1950's?

Leigh,

without a date in the helmet all I can say is that it is post 1953 at the moment. I will check out the badge to find out for what period it was in use but that won't be definitive either. There is a makers stamp of Hobson & Sons and a stamp stating "Vero's Detachable & Self Conforming Head Band, Royal Letters Patent No. 228457" but I haven't followed these up. I bought this one in the very early days of collecting and mostly forgot that I had it. It might be worthwhile, for me, to try to track it down further.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates