News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Online resources for S. European & Balkan States

I would start a thread aimed at pooling some online resources concerning the Southern European States and Balkan Orders and Medals

Countries to include: Portugal, Spain, Monaco, Italy, Cyprus, Malta, Greece, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Republic of Macedonia & Serbia.

Kindly post any relevant links.

Thanks!

Jim

Greece: http://www.presidency.gr/en/tagmaTimhs.htm

Medals of Italy - Page by Micheal Shackelford 1998

Contains a number of top Orders and Medals up to those awarded for the 1WW. Includes:

Ordine della Santissima Annunziata; Ordine dei Santi Maurizio e Lazzaro; Ordine Militare di Savoia; Ordine della Corona d'Italia; Medaglia Al Valore Militare; Croce al Merito di Guerra; Medaglia Dell Guerra 1915-1918; Medaglia di Volontario di Guerra 1915-1918; Medaglia Della Vittoria Interalleata; Medaglia di Madri e Vedove Dei Caduti

http://www.gwpda.org/medals/italmedl/italy.html

Italy - Site for researching medal recipients and some award citations

A site that will allow you to look up recipients of Italian Orders and medals with lists of awardees. Some records for some of the orders/medals do not go all the way back so there are certain limitations. Still an interesting research tool.

http://www.quirinale.it/elementi/onorificenze.aspx

Edited by JimZ

• 1 year later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...

Dear Collectors and friends,

I would kindly ask you not to refer to FYROM (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) as "Macedonia" or "Makedonia",

because Macedonia and Macedonians are terms referring to a Greek territory and its inhabitants.

Using them for an ex-Yugoslav territory, which was part of southern Serbia (as seen by documents and historical papers before the end of World War II),

could possibly mean political propaganda in favor of this newly-formed "nation" and against Greece and the historical truth.

I would suggest that everybody uses the official United Nations' and NATO term "FYROM", because as far as I know no political propaganda is allowed in this forum.

Finally, as most members share their passion for history, it would be better to show our level of knowledge and learn how to use the proper terms that would not offend the others!

All the best from Greece!

Dimitris

• 3 weeks later...

A rather comprehensive guide to Italian ODM ribbons:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medaglie,_decorazioni_ed_ordini_cavallereschi_italiani

You will need to copy the whole link and paste it in a browser.

Edited by JimZ

• 1 year later...

I would kindly ask you not to refer to FYROM (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) as "Macedonia" or "Makedonia",

because Macedonia and Macedonians are terms referring to a Greek territory and its inhabitants.

Using them for an ex-Yugoslav territory, which was part of southern Serbia (as seen by documents and historical papers before the end of World War II),

could possibly mean political propaganda in favor of this newly-formed "nation" and against Greece and the historical truth.

I would suggest that everybody uses the official United Nations' and NATO term "FYROM", because as far as I know no political propaganda is allowed in this forum.

Finally, as most members share their passion for history, it would be better to show our level of knowledge and learn how to use the proper terms that would not offend the others!

Dimitris

I agree brother!

• 1 year later...

Nice site - but your JavaScript links at the top don't work... I had to read your source code to figure out how to get to the various pages, but it was worth it!

I shall scamper off and put a link to you forthwith.

Nice site - but your JavaScript links at the top don't work... I had to read your source code to figure out how to get to the various pages, but it was worth it!

I shall scamper off and put a link to you forthwith.

Ach! Damned Internet explorer which is not compatible with itself! :banger:

It ran flawlessly with Firefox and Chrome, but it was not enough.

Corrected and thank you for the warning.

It's working now, well done :)

(Last year I taught a web design course for which the students had to write some JavaScript, that was always the bit that caused them problems!)

Actually it is not "javascript" itself to give the problem. The fault is in the differences between the browsers, specially IE with all its versions (8 does some things, 9 others, 10 is similar but not equal to 8). Wish all be compliant with the same specs! Lot of time waste to check the compatibility.

Anyway, this is the cyberworld we are living in.

• 2 weeks later...

Dimitris

Dear Dimitris

There is no need to politicize and enhance xenophobia. This is an honorable forum. Concentrate on content rather than form.

Dear Dimitris

There is no need to politicize and enhance xenophobia. This is an honorable forum. Concentrate on content rather than form.

Dear Albanian, your comment makes no sense. I agree with your thought-it's propaganda and fraud of name and history that I am trying to avoid.