News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OGPW sold as Chinese Political Badge!

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Saw this on Ebay and felt I'd pass it along:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLECTIBLE-CHINESE-PO...1QQcmdZViewItem

From the description:

You are bidding on chinese collectible political medal . It is about Chinese Communist Party , It stands for Chinese history ,Do you like Chinese culture ,if you like it , Don't lost the chance to get it .We have lots of kinds medals and badges , please look at my pictures . Welcome to contact us. we will very happy to serve for you .

Diameter : 4.5 cm

Material: copper

But sure looks like a copy of an OGPW to me:

Go figure! :rolleyes:

Dan :cheers:

Yeah, it's kinda like the old George Carlin joke about the worst Doctor. In this case... somewhere out there is the world's worst fake... and the worst thing is that someone is about to go buy it! :speechless::speechless:

Dan :cheers:

Stupid seller!!

Well, if someone buys this, I'd not call the seller "stupid". But, at least for now, no one has bid on this abomination. And yet the seller has a 99.2% positive rating. And their other "Chinese" awards are of equally high quality. While the collecting and study of other areas has taken off, scum such as this fellow and the dreck he markets mayl kill, forever, the collecting of Chinese ODM. Hope they're happy (though this particular fellow is mostly jewelry, it seems) and, with 4126 feedbacks and a "Power Seller", I bet he is happy.

Guest Rick Research

I agree that ANY chance for real PRC collecting has been completely destroyed by the flood of brand new frauds and fantasies like this overwhelming the market.

Beware of anything in metal that looks like this. Whatever it is, and wherever this sort of junk is being churned out 24 hours a day, this type and color of metal is the "signature" of almost all the current fakes-- that and plastic "shower curtain" ribbons.

I am, frankly, dumbfounded as to who the intended MARKET is for this sort of grunge. I see boxes full of (not this particular silliness but similar) at shows now. It is endemic. Even backwoods fleamarkets in obscure corners of Mitteleuropa offer these by the crateful.

The makers would be better off making phony Buddhas or something for the turista trade.

I can count on one hand the number of weirdos like myself who actually collect REAL Chinese Civil War/Korean War era PRC awards.

There is NO MARKET for REAL PRC awards-- let alone this garbage.

So why oh why oh WHY are there hundreds of thousands of FAKES continuing to flood a market poisoned and stillborn BEFORE there ever was any demand? THIS "supply" has killed any future for PRC collecting stone cold dead in advance.

Ironically, that means that the REAL stuff will never be "worth" much, since there is ZERO demand for it. The bad has quite literally destroyed the good. When 1 piece in 100,000 seen is real, nobody is going to bother even looking. :banger::angry:

Hi, Gentlemen

You put a lot of comment on this topic. But you know English is not our native language, so I don't know whether I understand well.

I agree with Rich. PRC collectible has smaller group than NK and Mongolia. First because Chinese ODM is not so complete as USSR, NK or Mongolia. Second, Chinese collectors most close the doors to abroad. They like communicate with their Chinese friends, the collectors such as me and 'usairforce' are rare among Chinese collectors. This results that Chinese collectible are not known much by the world. So pity for this. Third, the fake make collectors be far away from Chinese collectible.

I really think it is pity for Chinese collectibles. China, especially PLA is more important than NK, Mongolia or some other countries, but there are fewer collectors interested in them!!

Tang Si

Thanks for this, Tang Si. And never worry about your English!

There are a few of us (Rick, me, ???) who wish things were better with Chinese awards, but we know the problems. Maybe, someday, we can hope . . . .

Guest Rick Research

The language difficulty is much worse for us, since you do quite well with English :beer: but all I can read in Chinese characters are year/month/day dates.

ALL of the very few real PRC awards that have come to me are from the former Soviet Union, from military personnel who had served in China. I can read Russian, but my computer cannot.

I am still working on German records from 1914-1918 that have never been published, so maybe it will take a future generation of collectors to have good information on PRC awards from 1945-1955. But we will not be alive in 2045 (well, not Ed and me anyway!!!) if it takes that long!!! :cat: